The Alexan, 401 West Lane Street

I don’t want to know there’s a “possibility” - developers dangle “possibilities” in front of us every time to entice interest then still just do the bare minimum. I want DEFINITE CONFIRMATION, dammit! :laughing:

5 Likes

I’m gonna have to take your caps lock key away from you until you can settle down, sir.

7 Likes

there is the possibility

What they mean is that they’re supposed to be required to include retail by the -SH zoning but they’re trying to find a loophole so they don’t have to.

You get used it it. In college one year I lived right by some tracks running through the back yard. Every night about 3 am there was a train and it would just lay on the horn. very disturbing at first, but after a few weeks, I started sleeping right through it.

2 Likes

if you have such a big issue with the way developers make their deals work then by all means throw your money into the development world and show us your “voice”

just a thought……

Seems like they’re daring the city to do something about it. I hope the city pushes back, just on principle.

6 Likes

The way for citizens to show their voice in the development world is through public policy, not money. Policies such as the zoning law that requires ground-floor retail be included in this development. See UDO sections 1.4.1.F and 3.4.9.B

5 Likes

Or to put it in less policy-soaked words… you’re basically saying your voice only matters if you’re rich enough to do whatever you want, and you have no right to voice your opinions otherwise.

How does that not sound screwed up to you?

12 Likes

I would like to clarify that if we really want for our voices to count then we need to get out there and make these all of these developers hear what we are looking for and attend public hearings/meetings.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but it’s cathartic at least- to have a community of folks that understand why I’m saying what I’m saying (shouting) and agree with me :rofl:

1 Like

Some more technically details released but it does look like it’s moving forward.

WHEREAS Frank Reece Hester and Larry B Hester, property owners, request i) a variance from the minimum ground story floor-to-floor height requirement in the DX- district pursuant to Section 3.2.6.E.1 of the Unified Development Ordinance in order to allow a mixed-use building with a 10’ ground story floor-to-floor height for the proposed mixed use building’s east-facing facade on N. Harrington Street; and ii) a variance from the standard restricting compact parking spaces to a maximum of 30% of the total parking spaces pursuant to Section 7.1.6.B.2 of the Unified Development Ordinance in association with the development of an 8-story residential building on 2 parcels zoned DX-12-SH at 401 W. Lane Street and 219 N. Harrington Street.

8 Likes

8-stories would end up quite a bit taller than the two surrounding mega-block apartment buildings, no? Height variation here sounds good to me!

3 Likes

I don’t think this would be much taller than the apartment building to the south, the Link. Our building is ground level + 6 stories of apartments + 1 underground parking level = 8 stories. I’d assume, this building is going for something similar by looking at the pic from the pdf @Francisco posted. Appears it may be one story taller since it doesn’t look like they’re using an underground level.

9 Likes

Ahhh, you’re right!!! Hey, even the 1 story of height variation is welcome to this area

3 Likes

If everything is the same height, they’ll start calling us Paris. LOL

7 Likes

or Pairleigh. Of course we need some sort of big ol’ tower thing - Space Needle-like giant acorn would be my suggestion.

5 Likes

So until we get that giant tower, nut or needle we would just be called “barely Pairleigh”.
Sorry, the heat’s getting to me.

3 Likes

Latest update on addressing the blank wall on Harrington St.

22 Likes

Looks like possible retail (2 spaces) as well!

1 Like

Non-update update: walked by and nothing new except some of those city QR code placards which I wasn’t close enough to read.

Given that the project is scheduled to start construction in November, that’s no surprise.

2 Likes