The Depot DX-20 rezoning (327 Davie, 320 Cabarrus)

This one is a little confusing as it seems to be two different plots, one on either side of the tracks but owned by (technically) different companies though clearly the same org.

The date is clearly wrong.

Current zoning for this block is DX-7-UL.

Current zoning for this block is DX-4-SH.

I’m guessing this is the 1st neighborhood meeting so they can officially file the rezoning request though it’s not listed on the city’s neighborhood meetings. I’ll email to get info for the meeting and post it here.

16 Likes

My plan to cap the tracks is coming to life :sunglasses:

8 Likes

do you know something that we don’t? :wink:

So this is like the parking lot for the Depot?

2 Likes

I think it’s the old train station property and the Depot (not just the parking lot).

Oh shit, you’re right! Well I don’t like that at all. :disappointed:

Haha no I wish! I was speaking about the plan I drew up that’s basically the artery on steroids and would cap all the tracks that are sub-grade to the north and west of here. Connecting Downtown Raleigh Part Two – Trails Over Rails – Phil Veasley

20 Likes

What an amazing project that would be. Hawt

5 Likes

This would be great. We could have bike tracks and a trail connecting to nearby greenways.:ok_hand:t4:

3 Likes

Go to morningstarlaw.group/01052022mtg to register for the meeting.

To participate by phone:
(312) 626 6799
Enter Webinar ID: 873 2868 5047
Enter password: 071180

5 Likes

This call is technically still going, but the presentation is done and all initial Q’s have been A’d.

Nothing earth shattering here. There is no particular development in the plans but the NCRR wants flexibility in this space to build the most effective development for the area and city when that time comes. I did ask if the NCRR had any intentions to develop or this is just a value play and sell and it was suggested they want to continue evolving this area as they have with RUS and likely complement that.

The Depo came up on the call by one of my neighbors and I reinforced that we love the Depot (though I wish it were more activated). Given there isn’t a particular development in the plans, they can’t really say if the Depot would survive, be redeveloped or what.

So we’ll see what the city says, what the Planning Commission thinks, then City Council eventually.

12 Likes

Thanks for the update Dylan.
Losing The Depot would be a crime.
If the Creamery Block can carve out the historic building on their block, I don’t see why The Depot couldn’t be carved out as well. Frankly, that building would have made an excellent food hall, but that’s unlikely at this point. Maybe some sort of indoor farmers’ market?

7 Likes

I’d love them to keep it and get creative building around it. Both of these parcels are awkward being triangular, even if you were to completely rip out The Depot. I totally agree that would be a crime and the history of that building was mentioned.

4 Likes

Tearing the Depot down is the easy button answer. A good developer and the right architect would not just save it, but leverage it to create a more layered and interesting design solution than what is possible with new construction alone.

19 Likes

I was mentioning the same thing to my husband the other day when we were walking past it. Even if they build on top of it, it would be neat to keep the existing façade, but have it be inside the building or something similar. It could make for a really interesting space with the added bonus of bringing people through the building.

I’m also just a sucker of old, brick, warehouse vibe buildings so I’m very much biased.

15 Likes

Kind of like what the Goodnights developer DIDN’T do.

12 Likes

Me too Claire. I like the contrast between new and old architecture :ok_hand:t4:.

3 Likes

No new details to share, but TBJ reported on this today. The way they’re talking though, I could see something being announced within the next 2-3 years still realistically, with a decent chance of The Depot (atleast the facade, similarly to The Dillon) being preserved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/01/11/nc-railroad-company-seeks-20-story-rezoning.html

The properties are currently zoned for up to seven stories of mixed-use development and up to four stories of mixed-use development, respectively. Little information was available on the Railroad Company’s plans for the property this early in the process, and the group declined to comment beyond a statement.

“A few years ago, the City of Raleigh made a strategic investment in a revitalized rail station with the intent to encourage development density around it to boost passenger rail use,’ said President and CEO Carl Warren. “The North Carolina Railroad Company supported the city’s vision, and we are studying how to add value to that investment, while providing us the opportunity to make freight and passenger rail-related investments in other parts of the state.”

11 Likes

Man, even I’m going to be a little sad to see The Depot go. That really is a cool building with a lot of history, and they’ve done a truly great job repurposing it for small businesses.

I certainly hope they can incorporate that history into whatever they develop here. But realistically you’re not going to have many low-slung buildings surviving next to the region’s transit hub, and the rest of the lot would be very small and very awkwardly shaped to try to develop. (I’m really curious to see what they’re going to be able to do with that smaller plot on the other side of the tracks.)

Oh, speaking of which, I was actually walking through this parking lot a few nights ago. Hey, @OakCityDylan, do you perchance know the folks in the Fairweather who have the sweet fiddle-leaf fig in the window facing Harrington St.? That is a beautiful tree, and not easy to keep thriving indoors (and not cheap either).

7 Likes

A Dillon-style outcome feels most likely unless a developer makes it his/her passion project to loft a piece of the tower like the Standard in NYC or OCAD in Toronto… which would be awesome, but highly, highly improbable.

2 Likes