The Depot DX-20 rezoning (327 Davie, 320 Cabarrus)

I know all the folks at the Fairweather but not sure which plant you speak of. Will have to look when we get back.

1 Like

Many sites seek rezoning to assess the potential future best use/value of the tract. Not sure the current rental income can meet the potential future value of redevelopment for this site.

From the neighborhood meeting tonight:

• Gensler Architechs is involved in this so it seems more than just a rezoning and an actual project.
  • Considering pedestrian pass through as a part of the project
  • I asked if a ped bridge over the tracks has been considered: they have looked at it as a concept but all depends on how the design unfolds
  • No decision if the Depot building would remain
  • There is a desire to incorporate the name and history into the future project
  • Shadow studies were asked about :man_facepalming:t3:
  • Some lady asked me if she could set up a lemonade stand in my yard to help pay for West St coming through her house. (Donā€™t ask)
25 Likes

Well they better get started now if they want to coordinate anything with the RR and actually break ground this decade.

And you know I have to askā€¦lol

2 Likes

But NCRR owns itā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see no home that will get plowed.
:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Good point but I think NS or CSX is the operating RR and has a lot of the actual say.

Working with any, from tiny to NS has been a crapshoot back when I was doing that stuff.

I like most of Genslerā€™s work, so got hopes this could turn into a nice project

1 Like

I was initially upset the Depot might be going away, but Iā€™m realizing Jose and Sons is gone, Tasty Beverage is never open (nor the only bottle shop downtown anymore), and all I really care about is Videri, but I never actually go there any buy their $1000 Wonka bars. They could probably locate anywhere and be fine.

4 Likes

Much like Seaboard Station (the actual building), itā€™s a lovely little piece of Raleighā€™s rail history. Neither is super special on their own, but lose them both together and suddenly all thatā€™s left is the totally bastardized old station on Nash Square.

Plus theyā€™re both pretty ripe for a neat incorporation with a denser new building.

10 Likes

No, absolutely agree. I donā€™t want it to go, but much like Seaboard Station, itā€™s one of the very few old Raleigh things that seems to be getting torn down without much care that I actually have some feelings about. And Iā€™m trying to make my peace with it. Most of the other teardowns here are for things other people may care about but I have no attachment to at all. So I donā€™t have to worry about reconciling those ones at least.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll raise my hand in support of the Depot building remaining. Itā€™s a special little building that I had once thought would make an amazing row of residences with covered front porches and really cool warehousy interior spaces.

13 Likes

I think it would be really cool if they kept the front faƧade as part of the pedestrian pass through. Still keep some of the charm of the depot at the pedestrian level but still develop up. It could be a really neat pedestrian oriented area with outdoor seating for restaurants and whatnot passing underneath the larger development.

Iā€™m probably doing a terrible job explaining it, but it looks really great in my head.

16 Likes

I see it! I could even imagine them building up completely surrounding the old building, and incorporating the old depot and storefronts as part of an indoor atrium style pedestrian pass-through. Could have the feel of one of those thin retail corridors in Ireland/UK.

17 Likes

Yes!! Thatā€™s exactly what I was trying to convey, but very poorly. I just think it could be a really neat ā€œoutsideā€ space that has some protection from the elements.

2 Likes

We had dinner at Tuscan Blu last night. I really hope if this project takes off that they relocate and donā€™t shut down forever. Itā€™s a super cool vibe, decent food and I think often forgotten about.
And the owner is ALWAYS there! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Seconded. Last time I ate there we were the last patrons seated (slow night), and the owner brought over a bottle of wine and refilled our glasses so we could try what he was drinking. Thatā€™s the vibe

9 Likes

OH DUDE! Iā€™ve never even heard of this place but looks good AND not expensive at allā€¦ I may have to give this a go

3 Likes

Maybe they could put a Del Friscos Steakhouse here. And the ground level dining/restaurant.

Yea, that or a Gucci store. Iā€™ve herd we need one.