The Depot DX-20 rezoning (327 Davie, 320 Cabarrus)

Man why do you only like bougie shit??? LMAO. Just playing, of course, to each their own.

We already have Oak a block away (which is a nicer vibe than Del Frisco’s imo)

5 Likes

Gensler is the largest architecture firm in the world and has an insane range in the quality of their projects. Local stuff is much more meh than what they’ve done in other markets, but it’s definitely decent. 400H, Tower II at Block 83, 555 Mangum in Durham (best local one imo).

6 Likes

I didn’t realize they were so big haha. But I think 400H looks solid. I also really love Tower II, I think the front facade is killer.

2 Likes

The owner is my neighbour. He’s the real deal! :it:

3 Likes

Jealous honestly, what a great neighbor to have

2 Likes

When we were there the other night they had at least 30 ppl standing around chatting for some kind of event. Perhaps we go to Tuscan Blu for a meet up soon?
@dtraleigh

3 Likes

oh yeah? I haven’t been in a long time, I can’t even remember what it looks like inside. If there is a meetup friendly space, then sure. Why not?

There’s somewhat awkward standing space inside but there’s also the outdoor tables/area. I think it would work out well given we usually only have 10-15 ppl.

This is perfect for me. I’m good at standing around awkwardly!

11 Likes

I sure hope there is a pedestrian pass through. Otherwise we at the Fairweather lose our cut through to that part of downtown. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I made a very intentional (on the record) comment during the Zoom with just that comment. They had already said they were going to incorporate a pedestrian connection experience per the city’s request, but I asked that they make a very intentional focus on that aspect of the development.

7 Likes

Well, I think the rail road is going to shut down that cut through downtown first. It sounds like that’s part of the stipulation for the West Street expansion

2 Likes

Sort of like what the creamery is trying to do with their pedestrian pass-thru?

2 Likes

…and we on the other side of downtown lose our ability to easily connect to our friends in the Fairweather (et al)!
If we don’t get the pedestrian infrastructure and lose the pedestrian access through the Depot, then it’s a crime.

8 Likes

…and I’ll lose a lot of friends. I should have added that.
:couple:t3:

1 Like

We’ll still drive to visit you :rofl:

Only because I owe you a beer. I know how to keep my friends close.
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

All us peeps on this side of the tracks @OakCityDylan and friends on the other side of the tracks @John need to keep our earbuds to the ground on this one. It would suck big time and really impact and hamper the growing area in and around the train tracks. I am hopeful that the West Street Extension will happen one day…but in the meantime we gotta have that connection.

1 Like

Yup, this is what’s proposed in exchange for the West Street extension.

Way back when they were taking public comments on the proposed options, many of us voiced concern about ped and bike connectivity after the RR crossing is closed. The way West St goes under the tracks, you don’t pop out until Martin St. Without a ped/bike bridge over the tracks, you have to go out of your way to get to the depot or Fiction Kitchen.

2 Likes