The Depot DX-20 rezoning (327 Davie, 320 Cabarrus)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Things To Do in Downtown Raleigh

I disagree. With your pov.

Appearance Committee presentation shows that only the depot headhouse will remain (Videri property).

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/files/CFNNTC609A18/$file/20220628PLANDEVStaffPresentationZ-9-22.pdf

6 Likes

Not surprising. Iā€™d hate to lose the Depot but understand itā€™s not historic and I expect what replaces it will be similarly valuable to the city. Iā€™m more concerned with ped connectivity through the development.

12 Likes

IMO it is unfortunate that Raleigh is not protecting properties like this and the current Charlie Goodnights.

I support new development, but Raleigh doesnā€™t have that many older Interesting buildings and each one that gets scraped is a loss.

17 Likes

whatā€™s the purpose of rezoning land over the RR tracks. Iā€™s someone going to put a toe into air rights over the tracks. I have been pushing for use of air rights over the tracks between Union station to at least Hillsborough St if not farther north.

1 Like

It technically isnā€™t the land over the RR tracks and itā€™s NCRR that owns the plots. Itā€™s a bit unconventional to see two lots in the same rezoning request but I guess no reason they canā€™t.

1 Like

If they were going to build something over those tracks, that would be the only redeeming thing about this whole proposal. Tearing this all down when thereā€™s empty lots all over the place makes no sense. And yes, I know, they didnā€™t buy those lots. But they should have.

9 Likes

Me too: Iā€™m more concerned with pedestrian connectivity through the development and connectivity to Cabarrus @OakCityDylan

2 Likes

This is especially important if we are going to have to wait a decade for West to be connected under the tracks.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the low hanging fruit is often the parcels that you can actually purchase. I too would love to see some of the crap, surface lots, or uninteresting parcels get redeveloped first.

5 Likes

I think the clause: ā€œA pedestrian access way connecting West Davie Street to West Cabarrus Street with an average minimum width of 30 feet shall be included with any tier three site planā€ sounds promising, at least.
Does anyone know what a tier three site plan means though? I assume itā€™s conditional only under that specification?

6 Likes

The planning commission recommends approval for this one.

6 Likes

Two meeting attendees. Represent. /s

At least theyā€™re keeping the headhouse, so while Iā€™m sad about the loss of the rest of the Depot, the density is worth it.

3 Likes

As part of the recommendation for approval, the planning commission also recommended that they look at other ways of using materials that look like/exist on site already. So we might see other conditions related to that when it comes to city council. But it did sound like they were pretty committed to tearing down the building structure other than the headhouse due to the shape of the plot.

5 Likes

Iā€™m actually sad about this one. I love that depot area. Now Iā€™m in the opposite camp from my Berkeley ramblings in the other thread. I donā€™t have a great reason either, other than Iā€™m happy with how it is now.

8 Likes

-quietly-

Itā€™s a much better-looking building :wink:

7 Likes

I donā€™t know if this is actually possible, but why not preserve the buildingā€™s facade, add a pedestrian ā€œstreetā€ or courtyard next to it, and build a new building that encases the whole thing? Allows for preservation of the existing facade, flexibility for the lot shape, and the possibility for a really unique development. Itā€™s kind of similar to the Chicago pedway:

But with the depotā€™s facade as one side, and only the small connection from Cabarrus to Davie. But I may be biased because I use the depotā€™s parking lot as a cut-through pretty regularly, and I doubt the West st. extension is happening any time soon.

4 Likes

actually, they recommended denial for this lotā€¦ they deferred their decision to a later meeting this month but due to the historical protection on the property the commission is recommending denial for rezoning

3 Likes