The Downtown Raleigh Alliance

There is a grocery space planned for the Moore Square development, thats probably the third planned one theyre talking about.

I think they’re doing a horrible job, they’re focus on small businesses are great. However attracting large HQs they need to be talking to every developers in im this area proposing 40-story rezoning or whatever and partnering with them to help bring companies there. Also putting bid for the city like a Democratic or Republican National Convention. So hopefully they hire a more HQ attracting person.

With how malicious and clearly one-sided both parties have become, I’d be happy with neither of these conventions stepping foot in our town. Charlotte can fight to have that clownshow all they want.

6 Likes

I don’t think they’re gonna have another one anytime soon.

The DRA Q4 2022 report came out yesterday and lots of good details in there. Here’s a snapshot of the executive summary but worth a read.

9 Likes

Over 10,000 potential new housing units could add 15,000 new residents downtown. That’s a massive number for Raleigh’s small area downtown.

11 Likes

And adds more density to Raleigh also.

yeah, that’s kind of how it works. :wink:

There’s not that many more than live downtown currently, right? Huge strides. Double the downtown population and a lot of density and activity we talk about will take care of itself.

9 Likes

It’s a gigantic number vis-a-vis downtown’s current population.
Not exactly sure how many of these possible new units are downtown proper to compare apples to apples, but doubling the population isn’t out of the question.

6 Likes

The DRA is putting together a new Economic Development Strategy for downtown with Interface Studio

KEY FOCUS AREAS:

• Providing a retail strategy for downtown with a specialized focus on the Fayetteville Street corridor
  • Examination and strategic positioning of the downtown office market
  • Opportunities for supporting a thriving Minority- and Women-owned business community
  • Identification of catalytic projects to stimulate and grow Downtown Raleigh’s economy

TIMELINE & NEXT STEPS:

Downtown Raleigh Alliance will be working closely with the consultant team over the next 12 months to create highly impactful recommendations to guide our market’s growth over the next decade and beyond.

• Phase I: Research, Analysis & Initial Stakeholder Engagement
  • Phase II: Fayetteville Street Strategy Recommendations (Completed by December 2023)
  • Phase III: Economic Development Strategy Report & Recommendations (Completed by June 2024)
12 Likes

They just need to talk to some Gen Zers and Gens Alphas and see why Faye Street sucks so bad and what they can do to draw them in. They’re going to be the main consumers and economic trend drivers soon.

7 Likes

They could probably answer the question themselves. There’s nothing to do on Fayetteville Street outside of those scheduled events. At least not yet.

There’s a large number of empty business units and office units. I don’t know what the disconnect is, but they should probably find out why there are so many empty units. Are they empty because the rent requested is too high? Are they empty because the owner doesn’t have the funds available to fix the unit up for a tenant? Find out what it is and have it addressed.

I’m not certain it won’t fix itself. Highwoods has redone a large number of its units at the end of Fayetteville Street, Chido Taco should be starting up soon. Business drives more business.

6 Likes

Mustang House might closed before Chido opens at this point. :sleepy:

Was the this plan sound so sucky. Why focus on that when you can being Fortune 500 companies. And where input from Gen and millennials input. Raleigh Chambers needs to work closely with the mayor to bring big companies and relocate their had here I think this is weak. And as a radical if I were in charge I do that these things. Get Developers in trying to bring big business here by offering those companies to lease here so we can bring towers here. That’s my rant!

OK I’ll bite. Who is Gen Alpha?

1 Like

Those riots did a number on Fayettevikle Street too, I think. Losing that CVS, was bad. I also think we could’ve torn down all parking lots. The city should force it on developers. If I’m on council I get rid of all parking in the Central Business District. I’m not going to run got office for a specific number of reasons.

The generation after Gen Z. By the time DRA does anything of impact it will probably be 10 years from now. Gen Alphas will be teenagers.

4 Likes

No parking! I will organize a march and have you impeached! :grin:

Take transit. We talk a lot about this on this forum if this area is serious than we should. I don’t like seeing parking lots in buildings. We should ban that.