The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

12-floor height would be cool for skyline variation/density/etc. but I think I would prefer an all-brick 6-story building to a mixed brick/fiber-cement12-story building.

4 Likes

Also, I’m hoping “Apartments” is generic in the mention on the ASR and its really “condos”.
:crossed_fingers:t3:

4 Likes

LMAO uh why???

I guess we’ll find out soon enough. I’m just saying height isn’t the most important consideration for me, quality is. I think a high-quality condo building at 6 or 7 floors wouldn’t be so bad.

If it were less height and less quality… yea that’d be a shame.

6 Likes

& That’s exactly what I expect, unfortunately.

Oh wow!

49 Likes

Looking pretty dece! I like that they’re breaking up the mass with those inset balconies every few floors.

12 Likes

Very very nice! There’s your quality residential architecture. Looks like some mildly interesting things happening up on the roof level, too.

EDIT: Actually it’s that zigzag wall pattern repeated up all the cutout levels. Even better.

9 Likes

First impression is that I love it!

12 stories of something high quality and different.

Active ground floor, great outdoor space, cool shape and color!

12 Likes

I like a lot about this, except that it’s apartments. I am however very happy with the design and use of land.

7 Likes

Finally something a bit architecturally different. I like it.

Also time for this project to get it’s own thread?

15 Likes

Parking deck is completely hidden internal to the building and wrapped with units (not just screens).

Except at the south property line of course. The parking levels look to only go up to 41’ at the south end, so maybe not a terrible impact to the Fairweather north units?

14 Likes

Perfect timing to offset all the (rightful to many) complaining about the Pope House block. This is pretty sick for a 12 story building. Impressive.

16 Likes

I WOULD LIKE TO FORMALLY RESCIND MY NEGATIVE ASSUMPTIONS NOW

14 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 401 Cabarrus Apartments

I’m curious if anyone can provide an example of the smallest/most compact parking pedestal you know of. Given the 520 S. Harrington rezoning request, it got me thinking, is there even room for a parking pedestal? The parking at 615 Peace is pretty limited (less than 1 spot per bedroom if I remember correctly) and that’s on .3 acres. 520 S. Harrington is .13 acres. I mean even if they built to the current max of DX-5, I don’t see how they incorporate parking, much less DX-20.

2 Likes

615 Peace is actually less than one space per condo.

1 Like

The developer said at our meeting last night that he plans to seek off-site parking for at least some of the parking needed for this project.

The only way I see that working (and being acceptable to tenants at 520) is if the apartment complex at the end of the block opened up their deck, which is possible. I haven’t done the math on units vs parking spots proposed.

Edit: 289 parking spots, 298 units with 64 of those being 2 bedrooom units and 12 being 3 bedroom units… Math is hard, but I’m coming up with a parking deficit, not surplus so 520 will need to look elsewhere. I’m guessing they won’t even open up this deck for retail customers.

2 Likes

Developer says he is going to move his offices to this location with “some” condos. So it won’t be just a residential building. I guess the fact that he plans to actually use it rather than rezone and flip answers some of the questions as to why he never sold to the Fairweather Condo developers or to the Fairweather family.

3 Likes