The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

It was temporary for sure. Our view (east) from our unit will be largely unimpeded though that 12 story at the corner of Cabarrus and Dawson will add to it. The rooftop view from the Fairweather will be mostly impeded looking downtown.

5 Likes

On that map, I donā€™t see the most intrusive parcel to Fairweather included in the rezoning.

1 Like

The rezoning request for DX-20 is the small building that only fronts Harrington. This development that the ASR represents is for the rest of the block. What sucks for the owner of that small parcel is they held out and didnā€™t sell to the Fairweather developer back in the day, and now apparently didnā€™t sell to the developer of the rest of the block so theyā€™re on their own, and I donā€™t see them getting approval for DX-20. I expect at the end of the day that small parcel gets approved for DX-12 if Iā€™m putting any money in a bet.

4 Likes

Project titled ā€œ401 Cabarrus Apartmentsā€ ā€¦ mention of residential building with a parking deck ā€¦why do I have a bad feeling theyā€™ll waste the full site potential and build aā€¦ drumroll ā€¦ 5-over-1 stick-built Texas doughnut? :thinking: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Yea I was wondering thisā€¦ the site dimensions are very similar to the Alexan on West Street next to Link.

1 Like

Itā€™s a big olā€™ square plot of land. I have a bad feeling I already know what theyā€™re planning. Itā€™d be one thing if they did something similar to 301 Cabarrus and at least built to the full 12-story limit, but if this ends up being yet another damn 5-6 story apartment boxā€¦ Iā€™m gonna be mad.

3 Likes

South side and west side of the building still has decent views (Dix Park and Lake Wheeler). That substation on the east side for those front facing units is looking better and better. People in the L of the building on the north side are screwed on view. But as I keep telling peopleā€¦location, location, location. View is just a plus.

1 Like

Me to @OakCityDylan. I thought this would all go as one project. Wrong. Now that .13 acre at 520 Harrington looks less likely for a 20 story to me.

IMO, they should have sold to the Fairweather dev team so that could have been incorporated in our building footprint. Oh well.

1 Like

12-floor height would be cool for skyline variation/density/etc. but I think I would prefer an all-brick 6-story building to a mixed brick/fiber-cement12-story building.

4 Likes

Also, Iā€™m hoping ā€œApartmentsā€ is generic in the mention on the ASR and its really ā€œcondosā€.
:crossed_fingers:t3:

4 Likes

LMAO uh why???

I guess weā€™ll find out soon enough. Iā€™m just saying height isnā€™t the most important consideration for me, quality is. I think a high-quality condo building at 6 or 7 floors wouldnā€™t be so bad.

If it were less height and less qualityā€¦ yea thatā€™d be a shame.

6 Likes

& Thatā€™s exactly what I expect, unfortunately.

Oh wow!

49 Likes

Looking pretty dece! I like that theyā€™re breaking up the mass with those inset balconies every few floors.

12 Likes

Very very nice! Thereā€™s your quality residential architecture. Looks like some mildly interesting things happening up on the roof level, too.

EDIT: Actually itā€™s that zigzag wall pattern repeated up all the cutout levels. Even better.

9 Likes

First impression is that I love it!

12 stories of something high quality and different.

Active ground floor, great outdoor space, cool shape and color!

12 Likes

I like a lot about this, except that itā€™s apartments. I am however very happy with the design and use of land.

7 Likes

Finally something a bit architecturally different. I like it.

Also time for this project to get itā€™s own thread?

15 Likes