The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

Parking deck is completely hidden internal to the building and wrapped with units (not just screens).

Except at the south property line of course. The parking levels look to only go up to 41’ at the south end, so maybe not a terrible impact to the Fairweather north units?

14 Likes

Perfect timing to offset all the (rightful to many) complaining about the Pope House block. This is pretty sick for a 12 story building. Impressive.

16 Likes

I WOULD LIKE TO FORMALLY RESCIND MY NEGATIVE ASSUMPTIONS NOW

14 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 401 Cabarrus Apartments

I’m curious if anyone can provide an example of the smallest/most compact parking pedestal you know of. Given the 520 S. Harrington rezoning request, it got me thinking, is there even room for a parking pedestal? The parking at 615 Peace is pretty limited (less than 1 spot per bedroom if I remember correctly) and that’s on .3 acres. 520 S. Harrington is .13 acres. I mean even if they built to the current max of DX-5, I don’t see how they incorporate parking, much less DX-20.

2 Likes

615 Peace is actually less than one space per condo.

1 Like

The developer said at our meeting last night that he plans to seek off-site parking for at least some of the parking needed for this project.

The only way I see that working (and being acceptable to tenants at 520) is if the apartment complex at the end of the block opened up their deck, which is possible. I haven’t done the math on units vs parking spots proposed.

Edit: 289 parking spots, 298 units with 64 of those being 2 bedrooom units and 12 being 3 bedroom units… Math is hard, but I’m coming up with a parking deficit, not surplus so 520 will need to look elsewhere. I’m guessing they won’t even open up this deck for retail customers.

2 Likes

Developer says he is going to move his offices to this location with “some” condos. So it won’t be just a residential building. I guess the fact that he plans to actually use it rather than rezone and flip answers some of the questions as to why he never sold to the Fairweather Condo developers or to the Fairweather family.

3 Likes

Didn’t the City get rid of parking minimums anyway?

4 Likes

They did, but this is Raleigh. Who is going to finance a building in downtown Raleigh with little to no parking?

3 Likes

Planning Commission recommends approval on 520 S. Harrington, City Council meeting scheduled on 9/6

5 Likes

And now a public hearing scheduled for 10/4.

2 Likes

This got deferred for a month to allow the developer to work with the residents of the Fairweather on several concerns.

8 Likes

I do think that developers should, by matter of a best practice, reach out and at least listen to adjacent property owners’ input and address concerns and issues. To me, this is a different animal to large swaths of residents complaining about shadows and other ridiculous issues that don’t really affect them and only further their goal of not having any change whatsoever to their status quo.

8 Likes

That’s what’s happening and the community (Fairweather) has a nicely organized group with very constructive concerns and reasonable requests (I think). I’m not sure a fully amicable state will be met within 30 days, or ever really, but there will be dialogue and I think the developer will be able to say they listened and “considered” the resident feedback. I hope they (the developer) does make some measures to meet the concerns.

6 Likes

I suspect that we are going to have the same sort of thing at The Paramount with the development of the land next door at 12 stories.
While I don’t have a unit adjacent to the property line (I face the street), I don’t think that it’s an unreasonable to consider the units that face the adjacent property.

6 Likes

Are the concerns to lower the height (which will do nothing to help with any of the condos on the side facing this new building)?? Because if so, huge NO from me.

I watched the council meeting - Seems like there’s much more than a month needed to close the gap around the challenges to build on this site? Kinda seems like this is a little bit of a pie in the sky redevelopment scenario that doesn’t have a ton of planning behind it, which is kinda crazy considering the uniqueness of this particular location / situation. Office, retail incubator, condos and post-graduate, workforce housing / training in some unknown association with St Aug’s were all thrown around like spaghetti on the wall in the applicant presentation.
Homework seemed pretty lacking to me, an outside observer…

It definitely exposes the ‘cart before the horse’ reality of our rezoning process which doesn’t bake in the build realities until after the rezoning. Requires a significant up front ‘belief in execution’ for approval.

6 Likes

At the core of this particular rezoning request, is truefully something that should have never gotten past Planning Staff. What is not evident unless you are following this case, is that the applicant/owner is also a member of the Raleigh Planning Board. He literally recused himself and spoke on his behalf at the Planning Board meeting. Of which was virtually no discussion by the planning board, no mention of planning staff concerns, and a unanimous approval. I am all for rezoning. I love, love living downtown with all the growth. Twenty stories doesn’t bother me. I am not even most impacted because I don’t live on that side of the building. But this is a terrible request. The size of the lot is .13 of an acre on a dead end neighborhood street. If you see the site, you honestly shake your head. Honestly, I don’t see how it would ever be built to 20 stories. But having that as the designation will haunt everyone for years to come even if it never happens. This is just my two cents. There was no thought and definitely “cart before the horse” in figuring out the logistics for this kind of build.

6 Likes