The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

That the design I’m talking about the should be the standard.

So, to confirm - there’s no West St access for this parcel of land ? Essentially hemmed in by the Fairweather and the adjacent rezoning property (to the N ) on the West St side?
That’s a cluster, indeed…

I don’t understand the concerns yes its small but I mean how is it causing problems there’s no parking nor is there any problems because it next to one I’m sure the city could work something out on the parking lot next to it. And tell him don’t build a parking lot on his property.

The you not see what’s next to it literally free parking. What is the deal with this its make no sense.

It seems to me that while there’s deference to single family neighborhoods on the edges of downtown, there’s not even remotely an equal amount of consideration for residents in multifamily housing on those same edges. Let me give you an example. Every weekend night now, there are barricades blocking traffic from driving north on Boylan past Peace St., as if those residents are deemed more important than the hundreds (if not thousands) of residents who live on/off Boylan just south of Peace. On the one hand, those in single family homes are able to block cars from driving through THEIR neighborhood on public streets while no consideration is paid to those in apartments and condos to address the same issues that caused the blocking of the street.

Watching/reading this community has seemed to lean toward packing towers and developments onto parcels without nuance and consideration for context as if Raleigh is restricted for space in the way that Hong Kong or Singapore is.

Where The Fairweather is located is squarely in the transition zone from central downtown to Boylan Heights, and that’s a different context than the blocks immediately surrounding the very core of the city. This transition area requires a more nuanced way of looking at the overall area to make it the vibrant community that I think everyone wants to see it become, but we’d be foolish to think that any of new projects would just mimic a midblock infill project along the main Fayetteville St. corridor or its immediate surrounds.

This does not mean that a tower can’t be there. It just means that how a tower lands there needs to be integral to the overall vision of what we want that transition neighborhood to become.

11 Likes

Correct. No access to West Street. No access to Lenior Street. The ONLY access is off of Harrington. Dead end. Mid block. Five stories on either side. Neighborhood Street. On just over a tenth of an acre of land. It is currently zoned for 5 stories. I can see potentially a number higher than that. But I cannot see 20 stories at this location. At least no one has convinced me - yet - that this is a good idea or even a viable project.

2 Likes

I’m theoretically fine with a seemingly out of place 20 story building surrounded by 5-7 story buildings, on a small slice of land. It would be a first for our city, but it could be kind of cool if done well. That being said, the dead end street with the parking deck entrance seems like a huge hurdle to getting anything actually built. Of course the people who bought units facing a very nearby property line aren’t going to be happy, but the rezoning itself isn’t going to really change that problem for them. It was definitely one of the more interesting public hearings to watch, and I’ll be watching the progress of this project with popcorn as it unfolds.

14 Likes

I didn’t buy on that side of the building because I saw what was coming. I really think 20 is a huge stretch. But it only has to do with the location and limitation of the site. HOWEVER, If there is a choice between a well built 12-20 stories with solid conditions versus 5 stories as is, I personally would take my chances on a taller building. The FW will be working with the developer and we will see how it plays out. Get the popcorn ready.

2 Likes

He just need to share construction plans maybe he can’t build without a crane. Or maybe a small crane block of a little road.

1 Like

So far he hasn’t done that. Too expensive and not required at the rezoning stage.

kinda similar maybe? its a tight squeeze.

3 Likes

Now that is a nice looking building…

1 Like

Public hearing for 520 S. Harrington rezoning continued to 12/6

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2078?u=oakcityyimby

3 Likes

Possible solution for the owner of 520 S Harrington:

6 Likes

I have it on good authority the 520 rezoning request will not be pulled and is going to be voted on by council at a future meeting. Not sure if it’ll get an actual vote at the next scheduled date for that case or get kicked down the road, but what’s interesting here is the owner of 520 is on the Planning Commission and feels confident enough to keep the case in front of the new council.

Source can chime in if they want but I didn’t want to leak my sources if they aren’t wanting to be leaked. :grin:

7 Likes

It’s me. I’m the source. There will be a 10’ x 20’ base tower, 20 stories tall, tapering as it goes up, so that the top story is only able to house a tiny kitten. I am forcing this through the new NIMBY council because I am powerful, influential, and well connected.

I have spoken.

:gucci:

5 Likes

Does the mayor pro tem break votes?

My understanding is that there are 5 district members and 2 at large members, plus the at large mayor, for a total of 8 votes. The mayor pro tem is just a ceremonial recognition for one of the normal voting members, not a separate person. So we still have 8 voting members, and if a resolution deadlocks 4-4, the resolution is not adopted. In other words, every tie means the No votes win. What I am not clear on is whether that ends the process, such as when a rezoning that is denied and has to start again with a new submission, or if it just lingers indefinitely.

ahhhh, is that really how it works? How f*king DUMB.

Raleigh is the only local body with an even number of voting members of which I am aware.

There are some smaller local towns like Holly Springs and Mebane where the Mayor normally does not vote except to break ties if a member is absent.

Always seemed problematic to have an even number. Unknown as to why it was set up that way and/or has never been changed.