The Fairweather and other condos on S. Harrington

Maybe it’s a future 20 story building that could be built next door and blocking their view that was the concern?

3 Likes

Raleigh needs to invest in some streetscaping. May help to entice developers. Still junky and disjointed. Especially when certain entities sit on land forever without it being developed.

13 Likes

When a lot is sold, a fee could be collected by the city to improve the sidewalk and plantings.

3 Likes

I think it needs to be all done at once. More coherent. Durham did a lot of this many years ago. At least it made it more inviting

1 Like

We definitely need a plan for streetscaping. It seems like several years ago the city had a list of streets that were going to have improvements. Peace was one of them. Now it seems that people scream ‘affordable housing’ if you bring up anything aesthetic or not an absolute necessity (eg stadium). Driving through north Raleigh there appears to have been a lot more attention made on the major streets to bury power lines and install sidewalks and keep pavement smooth. Downtown seems to be left to age natually. I often wonder what the appearance commission actually does!!

6 Likes

@John I actually think it was the two people and three large dogs in 865 sf that did it. But the view…well that’s a story for another day. Stay tuned.

That’s basically what I live in alone, and I can’t imagine sharing it with even one dog, no less another person and 3 dogs.

2 Likes

Durham never had the original condo building spree that Raleigh got underway around the time that all those buildings went up on Glenwood. So we’re still playing catch-up on supply, really.

2 Likes

We have friends (Duke Grad$), who have a condo in Durham for part time living during sports times of the year.

1 Like

Meeting #2 for 520 S Harrington.

Were they combining this with another lot or will it be something like the 50’x50’ Hobgood’s concept on Martin St?

10 Likes

I haven’t heard of intentions to combine, but I suspect they’d have to in order to take advantage of DX-20. I also expect step back requests from Fairweather residents which makes that zero lot line even less attractive for 20.

I expect this is a value play to sell the property to the northern property owner. Total speculation.

2 Likes

This rendering is obviously not on S Harrington st. haha

8 Likes

S Harrington St, 2050

1 Like

That’s 107 E Martin St. - roughly same site dimensions and what a massing could look like for 520 S Harrington if they maximized their zoning without combining with other lots. That was my curiosity.

4 Likes

Upcoming residential project at 401 W Cabarrus. Think this is zoned for 12 floors.

18 Likes

There goes some of the biggest views from the Fairweather.

I mean it would just be different views. But it does seem like Fairweather is surrounded by this 12-floor 401 Cabarrus, 12-floor 301 Cabarrus, and the 20-floor 320 W South.

6 Likes

You can’t buy a place in that location and expect views to last… the front is lucky with that substation and railroad… they’ll at least be marginally protected…

1 Like

I’m sure Dylan can confirm, but with the electrical staton and tracks, I’m sure even with all the surrounding activity you’ll still be able to have somewhat of a view

6 Likes

*to be clear, not remotely saying that’s a reason not to build this. Just saying, that 360 view it had was pretty rad.

6 Likes