The Unique, The Same, and The Ugly

@dtraleigh, there was supposed to be a bike share station going in there but they can’t construct anything on this stretch because of the complicated nature of the sub-surface and the tunnel and parking deck beneath. Not even something as small as a bike share dock.

So, no Citrix bike share for the convention center. Have to walk a couple of blocks to find one of our city’s docked bike share, if it ever gets launched.

That is unfortunate and sounds bizarre but what do I know, right? That sounds a bit weak. With all that space it seems like an obvious spot for one of the bikeshare stations. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Jenna, agree!!!
Also, how our city council or developer/another Raleigh design team that screwed up by leaving an ugly blank Wall.
This is just as bad as that awful AT&T building sidewalk experience.
Do not understand how this could be left with no foliage or trees.

It would seem to me that the City could find a way to install a bikeshare station without disturbing the subsurface. The structure supports a roadway with two-ton cars driving across it all day, so a bikeshare station that weighs a fraction of that shouldn’t be much hassle . . . right?

But I’m no engineer. :grin:

1 Like

Sooner or later, all of downtown will look like this - which is a good thing because that is what everyone wants. All those old buildings are not worth repairing and have expired their useful purpose. Honestly, none of them have much character or historical significance anyways. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Several folks from the DLA pushed the daylighting of the creek several years ago when the Smokey Hollow project was first announced, and as part of the Downtown Plan. We met with City of Raleigh Environmental Enginneers, City Councilman at the time Gaylord Bonner and others, but to no avail. Apparently just too hard (read expensive) to do it.

2 Likes

You know, I am personally so tired of hearing the exact same excuse for EVERYTHING that is worthwhile…(read expensive)…not being chosen! Not every time, but once in a Blue Moon cost should really come in 2nd place…

Sorry, I needed to vent…:sweat:

We want to be unique but the city council is against anything that isn’t vanilla and is not willing to move forward with interesting proposals. City Council is really good at saying no and not look like the bad guy. I feel that Raleigh’s character will develop by people that don’t get along with the city council and the establishment like Kane and Hatem. Screw it I need to get my business up and going and start becoming a headache for the city council.

2 Likes

That’s a shame. Many times, the hardest tasks tend to be the most rewarding. There may have been some federal funding options available too.

There are plenty of other places at the convention center that should be considered for a station. That tunnel isn’t everywhere.

I was wondering that myself.

Shame about the substructure and space in south Downtown Raleigh preventing underground tunnel work. Imagine a rail/light rail/tram/pedestrian subway running down Fayetteville Street.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more… :blush:

I think staff did their best. They can’t blow the whole bikeshare budget on one station. Evidently there’s a rubber membrane a foot or two down underneath all the pavers and hardscape which helps seal the underground facilities from water.

Raleigh bike share will have “virtual stations” - basically dockless technology that allows city staff to station bikes at the convention center without a physical dock. Not sure if they are actually going to do that or not, they just mentioned it is an option.

1 Like

Some long reading I’ve got saved when there’s down time. I continue to think about what is unique to Raleigh and then how to bring that out and share it far and wide.

4 Likes

Figured this would belong here regarding our national image.
Urban Land Institute and PricewaterhouseCoopers report on TBJ that details the upcoming real estate markets to watch.
Raleigh ranks # 3 in overall real estate prospects and # 7 nationally in home building prospects.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/10/12/where-the-triangle-ranks-among-top-20-us-real.html

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that; it’s honestly a really important article that should be required reading for everyone on this site.

TL/DR snippet of the article:

[A]s urban branding consultant Carl Wohlt has stressed, a city should seek to be known for one sure thing. This doesn’t have to be the only thing it’s known for; but having at least one clear promise that can be delivered is important.
[…]
Cities, like companies, have a brand and often spend significant sums to market that brand. They do not always apply significant scrutiny to their branding efforts.

…this makes me wonder. What is Raleigh? Why are we uniquely special?

We keep referring to ourselves as sort of a mid-Atlantic Silicon Valley and real estate haven or whatever, but that puts us on the headlines. Why are we special and why should Raleigh and the Triangle, specifically, matter?

5 Likes

@dtraleigh

Thank you! A truly interesting read. I think that I will take some time and write down as many of the items from this article and see if I can come up with something that I can share and see what others think…Happy Friday and thank you again Leo for all that you do! :grin:

2 Likes

I’m going to be that guy and answer their own question…

Sports and wellness? Could it be our “thing” to be something like the “Region of Life”?

We have UNC, Duke, and State dominating college sports, we have parks everywhere, and healthcare is a major industry in our area. We have multiple natural parks wedged within or just a short drive away from our major cities, …hell, even our Krispy Kreme challenge involves running!

Could we try to solidify our national image as a city/region by rallying behind that one brand?

(if Raleigh can make this into a true brand, then it has the side effect of making it much easier to get an MLS or MLB team to the Triangle, too?)

6 Likes

I like the way you think! Plus once Dix Park is finished, I could see a new Raleigh marathon running through the park, or at least part of it. Maybe Dix could host a Saturday morning 5/10k every week? That could be a reason for people to visit the city? Add to that increased greenway mileage, that could catch on.

4 Likes