The Unique, The Same, and The Ugly

Raleigh Rock N Roll marathon ran through Dix. Trust me it was the worst part of the race with those hills

1 Like

Maybe they could use a different, shallower-graded route when/if the new master plan for Dix comes through. Having a southern version of the Boston Marathon could be interesting. There was also this other event in the Triangle in the 80s that might have some interesting ideas…

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article161614983.html

But I don’t think it has to be restricted to events. Catering to people interested in adventure travel/active tourism (for Dix, Eno River, Jordan Lake, Crabtree, Umstead etc.) or medical tourism might be a good way to get the attention of people who don’t already know about us.

…or hell, maybe something else, entirely?

3 Likes

Good Riddance!! I ran the half three times and the full once. I skipped the final year. This race got progressively worse every time I ran it. The City of Oaks Marathon is Raleigh’s hometown race and it does a great job. The course goes down Western, but doesn’t enter Dix Park. True Dix Park is a bit hilly for distance running, but maybe short distance races (5k/10k) would do well here.

Seriously?? This is a “fun” race, but has nothing to do with fitness. Running and barfing is not fun or healthy. I have done this race three times… that was two times too many. I do enjoy running through the City, but the back half (post KK) I could do without :wink:

2 Likes

Our region continues to grow. This is seen in our universities, museums, arts scene, nature and recreation oriented facilities, festivals, etc… We must continue to work as a region to nurture these assets while continuing to add our own character. We can be sleepy while also being bustling with business and innovation. We can be family-oriented while also being a place for young people, empty-nesters, and retirees.

I think this is the foundation of a broader identity. I think the Olympic Sports Festival highlighted some of that identity – collaboration across institutions of higher learning, employment centers(s), transportation, municipalities, etc.

Maybe there’s a way to better highlight the ‘research’ aspect of the Triangle. A region wide incubator with a publicly interactive museum or demo space.

4 Likes

Did someone say incubator?

2 Likes

@cxbrame
I truly appreciate the direction you seem to be headed…more please…:heart_eyes:

@wmgadd
You’ll have to help me hear in understanding this picture? :thinking:

Ha sorry, was a reference to and HBO show called Silicon Valley—a comedy based on these tech guys who work on their apps at this guy’s house and he’s always wanting royalties because it’s his “incubator.”

A city most certainly cannot be sleepy while bustling. That is an oxymoron. Furthermore, “family friendly” is code for basic, kid oriented crap. It’s how Charlotte became so bland. They strove for years to create the “family friendly” vibe, and now it looks and feels like some ticky-tacky movie set.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the rest of the Queen City, but Uptown Charlotte is something to be admired in regards to most (not all) of it’s architectural…IMHO :wink:

2 Likes

I find it kind of hard to believe Hopscotch was mentioned once or twice and the Hurricanes (the only professional sports team in North Carolina to have a championship) not at all. I get attendance is down coupled with an unfortunate lack of success, but in terms of “national” recognition I would have to say not including that somehow is odd. Hockey in the south. I would also argue keeping Hopscotch as indie as possible is needed to hold on to uniqueness.

If you’re looking for something we need to be known for, I would definitely say we kind of already have it. Downtown was dead barely more than 10 years ago especially compared to now. And that didn’t come from high rise buildings. Parks, street-level experiences, food culture and other activity.

That being said, Dix Park. Whatever that hi-res photo of the master plan was build italready!

2 Likes

Please know that I mean absolutely no insult to your comment. However, what exactly is “it” that you mean that we already have? Dix Park? (other cities already known for that) Hockey in the South (ditto) (Hopscotch? in name only, idea is way used)???

Raleigh keeps getting excellent reviews, Bhavana’s writeup and I believe someone in New York Times even came back here for a second visit.

I don’t think we need something else (definitely better marketing for the Canes which is already happening with the new ownership) I think we should just continue with what we have now and keep pushing for innovation to city council.

2 Likes

Uptown looks great from afar, but street level experience is pretty terrible. Was in Charlotte this past weekend for a wedding and the “bro-ness” of south end bars was repulsive. Talk about The Same and The Ugly… I’ll take raleigh any day all day

6 Likes

Sorry Evan, but what does that mean?

2 Likes

Slang term. Don’t want to get too off topic. Let’s go to Cornerstone and I’ll describe it over a beer.

1 Like

He’s saying there’s more to cities than what they offer on paper. Diversity of interests and backgrounds is a non-physical thing that a place can be known for too. :wink:

2 Likes

I was one of the mascots for that Olympic Festival. There were three of us: Stretch, Flex, and Jump, the red, white & blue fitness bears.

3 Likes

This is why Raleigh needs to be careful. Skyscrapers really only look good from a distance and do very little to achieve a desirable environment at the street level. This attitude that ‘something is better than nothing’ and ‘bigger is better’ is really shortsighted IMO. We can and should demand better. Raleigh should be a model for the New South but instead its nearly always the lowest common denominator when it comes to our built environment.

4 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen.
:smirk: