Village District developments

Demolition is moving quick here! It also seemed like they were taking out the sidewalk on the other side from it, not sure what is going on with that.

12 Likes

Or maybe there wasn’t a sidewalk here before and now they’re putting one in? I’m not positive.

9 Likes

There wasn’t one before, but it looks like they might be installing one.

10 Likes

Notice the old complex is completely demolished now. Has this 370+ unit, 6-story project started or just pure demo work?

4 Likes

It going to take weeks to get this site ready. Lots of demo. Serious construction trailer moved on site. This project is a go, going to take a lot of work before vertical however.

5 Likes

Walking past the rubble you can really smell mildew from old building materials piled up.

2 Likes

That sounds like it out to be a motto or slogan of some sort, lol. How did our ancestors live with out AC?
Speaking of AC, there is a great journal article on the history of AC, it is getting old now but I use it often when I teach Southern History. If there is interest, I will find the link and post it to Library section, here in the blog.

8 Likes

Someone started a YouTube channel on Raleigh urbanism. I give it an 80% chance this person is on the forum! How To Build a Shopping Center That Doesn't Suck - YouTube

8 Likes

Been meaning to message this guy and try to get him on here. He’s posted some good videos so far!

7 Likes

Saw this video. Haven’t watched the other stuff, but this video was well done. My one thing is that in the video he talks about going to Cary Crossroads “pretty often”. I won’t chastise this too much because a lot of people do it, but going to places like this drives up the demand for these areas. If we actually supported the businesses that are within walking/biking distance of our own homes or mainly supported those that are in better developments, I would think the markets would actually change and we would see actual mixed use developments. Of course I don’t know where this person lives so they may actually need to drive.

For me, I try my best to support places that are within my own area. If Crabtree Valley Mall doesn’t have it, I won’t drive to Streets at Southpoint or Triangle Town Center because they aren’t in my area (although in the future, there will be a direct bus line from Crabtree to Triangle Town Center). In saying that, I don’t really think it’s bad for people to drive places when they need to or if they are commuting (with 3+ people). I did have to drive the other day to meet up with friends in Apex. I looked for a bus route, but ACX (GoCary) and GoTriangle 305 doesn’t run on the weekends. I considered biking, however I’m not familiar with the bike system in Apex. Maybe if I get an e-bike it would be different. I’ve biked to Knightdale to meet with friends at Prime; it was full on greenway 90% of the way which was good.

My main shopping areas are Lake Boone Trail, Crabtree Mall, and North Hills. I’ll go grab groceries sometimes at Wegman’s since it’s a half mile off the trail. Of course since the trail connection to Industrial Drive isn’t paved, I won’t go when there was rain recently.

I’ll have to watch his other videos.

2 Likes

Update: I DM’d him on IG, he was excited to hear about this place and said he joined shortly after I messaged him!

9 Likes

I think they’re both peak service on weekdays too, though it seems like the 305 might become all-day once the driver shortage is addressed? Still, it’s odd that Apex, being Raleigh’s second-largest suburb, doesn’t have all day service yet.

Cary is planning to turn the ACX into a local route (the #12) with more stops and all day hourly service. The ACX as a peak express route has been pretty much a bust and it’s no wonder.

Apex is also looking to start up a single circulator route that apparently tries to hit every commercial area in town, and will certainly be a candidate for the worst route in the region.

4 Likes

Yeah, GoApex 1 looks like a mess. Do not expect high ridership on that one.

It’s been brought to my attention that I may not be the best at armchair route planning, so I’m retracting this. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

We need some aerial shots of the recent demo along Clark and Smallwood. Wow, does it look wide open.

5 Likes

Calling on @OakCityDylan to take the giant hint!

1 Like

That’s what she said emoji needs arise again

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say the demo and tree murdering is complete.

12 Likes

Luxury studio apartment. Nothing says luxe like eating dinner 8 feet away from your bed…

2 Likes

As someone that lives in a luxury studio apartment. Nothing beats having your loud washer dryer & dishwasher in your bedroom & living room.

6 Likes