Village District developments

I hope it goes a bit taller than just two stories - that seems like a waste of a view and of the location.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll miss the post office. It was one of many international/modernist style buildings in Raleigh that are being demolished every year. Itā€™s really a shame. I had hoped they wouldā€™ve kept this building.

I hope the new building isnā€™t super tall. I canā€™t believe I am sounding like a NIMBY, but I only hope for 3 stories max.

But whatever comes, I hope it does activate the street.

6 Likes

The great thing about modernist and international stuff is the materials and building techniques are still in wide use so you could easily build a replacement anywhere for probably cheaper (incorporating inflation) than originally. Itā€™s not like ripping down a 150 year old house that was made from virgin lumber that started growing in the 1600ā€™s.

1 Like

Anyone seen the pics up on the fence at the old/actually cool looking post office building that was just torn down? UGH.

1 Like

It looks the same as what they just tore down to me with different siding.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s already been mentioned, but it looks like a traffic circle is being installed at Oberlin and Van Dykeā€“which I know was called for in some past plan for the area.

9 Likes

Huhā€¦ I can see the need forā€¦ something there, because when someoneā€™s trying to make a left on Van Dyke in rush hour times, it can back up traffic on Oberlin. But a majority of the time, itā€™s mostly Oberlin thru traffic. So this seemsā€¦ overkill.

Thereā€™s also those million dollar townhomes, who have the strangest site plan, going in right there as well.

The random angles of each row, right??? But I donā€™t think thereā€™s going to be an entry where the roundabout would beā€¦ will there?

Yes! Iā€™m pretty sure you could shake hands with the townhouse directly across from you if youā€™re on the end. Thereā€™s two entrances for cars and one looks to be almost directly across Oberlin from Van Dyke.

Donā€™t see plans anywhere for a traffic circle at Oberlin & Van Dyke. Looks like this is the project: https://raleighnc.gov/home/content/PWksDesignConst/Articles/OberlinRoadStreetScape.html

But the extent of project on the maps is from the Players Retreat circle to Bedford Ave. Cooling looking bus stop island and protected bike lane at 401 Oberlin Apt.

1 Like

Based on the site layout on those townhomes going in right there, canā€™t tell if itā€™s a real roundabout or just some kind of marker.

Image from here: https://904oberlin.com/availability/

And the screenshot from Google Maps:

5 Likes

They definitely changed the radius on curb near the doctorā€™s office (SW-ish corner) to make the intersection larger. Hard to tell much more than that.

3 Likes

Maybe itā€™s a fountain? :wink: :fountain:

4 Likes

Now that you mention, I did notice that. From the site plan, it looks like a diet roundabout

I was by there today and took this:

9 Likes

A nice row home overlooking a roundabout across from a nice deli is so European. (and the nicely redone historic Oberlin houses just off screen to the right as well)

7 Likes

I biked from my office to my Dr.'s appointment today - all while smoking a cigarette - does that make me sound European? All true except the cig part

2 Likes

I was gonna say yes until you recanted the cig part.

1 Like

I wore a helmet too. Very un-European. :frowning_face:

2 Likes