West Street Corridor

Doesn’t Edwards Mill already connect to Hillsborough?

This weird area, build a road through the left of the Fred Smith Company property. You’re looking at 10-ish years into the future or more though. 2017 City Council really screwed this up, unknowably, for the commuter rail project.

2 Likes

Ah. 54, which is Hillsborough St. to the east of here, is no longer Hillsborough at this junction. Not sure I understand what this extensions brings to the party?

3 Likes

Support higher urbanization by adding streets to support future housing needs. It’s currently light industrial between the commuter rail and BRT, so a big void for both projects atm.

What’s the story behind that? I’m not familiar.

Seems this bar is finally open! They were mentioned in the DRA newsletter and their Instagram suggests they’ve been open (limited?) for a couple of weeks from what I can tell. Will definitely go check it out and report back.

3 Likes

It’s open, my wife and I went on Saturday night. It’s very small on the inside, but has tons of old local bar signs. Sadlack’s Heros, Pantana Bob’s, brooklyn heights, black flower etc. Lot’s of old memories from college at those places.

It’s help turn West St. into a small destination, we started at Cardinal and had some hotdogs and beer then walked down there. During the day once Rainbow Luncheon opens and the croissant place is operating too, foot traffic will certainly increase.

6 Likes

They had plans to support future light rail by updating the UDO in this area with a new road plan. The city council in 2017 decided not to move forward with that plan. Now we have commuter rail and BRT but this area will stay light industrial for the foreseeable future.

The council of “no”. This doesn’t surprise me.

7 Likes

No draft and no local beers. Cool vibe though.

Which bar are you referring to again?

1 Like

Pink Boot next to Layered Croissanterie

1 Like

Ah, yes. Don’t laugh but i just figured out if you click on the “back/respond” arrow, it will take you directly to the post in question. You posted that in 2019? :sweat_smile: I didn’t scroll high enough at first

3 Likes

no laughing from me because it took me quite a while to figure out that too.

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. BRT is going south of that area along the Western Blvd. extension instead of Hillsborough, and the nearest CRT station is either going to be at Corporate Center (which is densifying quite nicely with the new apartments on the NE corner) or the fairgrounds.

Bringing the topic back around, I feel like the west side of West St. (including the Cardinal and Layered buildings) is just ripe for a mini-canyon of residential high-rises that would be fronting the eventual Deveraux Meadows park. Plus it’d be close to the Capital BRT, even moreso if that section of West St. is chosen as part of the BRT corridor. Oh well, just me playing SimCity again. :joy:

8 Likes

I completely agree! This segment of West would be an amazing place to provide more housing. That stretch needs a comprehensive plan and could be a really special place when the park is completed. Its access to Smoky Hollow, Glenwood South and the future park would make this an enviable address.

5 Likes

If anyone else wants an example of what I’m talking about, albeit on a much larger scale, here are the buildings fronting Riverside Park in Manhattan. I actually think Trump either developed these or slapped his name on them, but this is exactly the kind of thing that could make the West St. corridor pop (again, probably just 20-30 stories for Raleigh).

6 Likes

Would be nice! All that land will be the SEHSR though. There’s a similar canyon feeling on the edge of Piedmont Park in atl

3 Likes

Whoops! Well, maybe we can have HSR run below-grade there lol

1 Like

I think all tracks should be underground within downtown but unless a multi billionaire comes around that won’t happen

5 Likes