West Street Corridor

Putting the rail corridor underground, or even capping it, is a pipe dream IMO. If we try to do this, we’ll wind up chasing our tail for decades and HSR will never happen at all.

Pretty much every building along the west side of West Street should be torn down, and a mile-long, four track wide viaduct, with room for retail spaces below, built in its place.

6 Likes

Had the thought awhile back for some residential along West St across from the future park. Too bad I didn’t win the lottery last night.

Taking the site plan from LOHA for 320 N State street …

320 n state st.pdf (3.3 MB)

8 Likes

Absolutely. Will be a very cool area regardless in a few years once the park gets built. All the redevelopment and new establishments in that area have been top notch so far IMO

2 Likes

I misread your “few decades” for a “few years”. Wait, no, it still looks like it says “few years”. You mean “few decades”, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Any idea what might be going on here? West and Harrington st at the tracks. They just “fixed” these intersections a couple of years ago.

Harrington St

West St

Jones St

5 Likes

Railroad controls 15’ of pavement on either side of the tracks. So even if the city did improvements, they can’t touch within the RR’s ROW

4 Likes

I don’t know, but I rode the Piedmont Amtrak today and the conductors were talking about someone parking in the way of a train last weekend near 42nd Street Oyster Bar.

I’ve heard of that happening a few months ago from 5 star management. Sounds like a recurring problem

1 Like

Has this been discussed here yet? Seems new to me. Thanks to @JByrne for the mention in his Top Five newsletter!

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article259300314.html

7 Likes

Thanks for the link Dylan. It’s unfortunate that the bird’s eye view of the area outlines the park instead of the developer’s parcels.

Seems this is the corner where the red building that currently houses Endless Grind sits.

From the article:
RDC’s property is zoned to permit 12-story buildings, Carter said. He was unsure if the company would petition for a change, but he expects it will erect high-rises. “There will be a mix of uses,” he said. “Certainly we’ll have ground-level retail, and there may be some other other uses incorporated into the project. But we anticipate that it will be heavily residential.”

Development planning has just begun, but RDC could break ground on its project by 2024. “Just buying the last property last week, we’re just now kind of kicking off the formal planning,” Carter said. “So a lot of things can shift around and move. But I think about a two-year time frame is realistic.”

4 Likes

So much going on. One of the moderators should create a map. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

So they must’ve won the auction for the state property. Big site.

16 Likes

What an opportunity for a creative building to create a statement entrance into DTR.

6 Likes

The Raleigh Flatiron?

13 Likes

I’m hoping for 5 floors of apartments over a floor of empty ground floor retail!
:face_in_clouds:

4 Likes

#KeepRaleighBoring lol

1 Like

This encompasses the site I really want to put a brewery/tap room overlooking Devereux Meadows with stadium seating coming down the hill towards the creek. I guess it’ll forever be in my head (and this forum). LOL

15 Likes

The article indicates they want to build more than one building, which would make the most sense given the odd shape of the property. Here’s hoping at least one of them is a statement piece!

2 Likes

Current look at that parcel.

23 Likes