West Street Corridor

I really hope endless grind stays downtown, talked with the manager and they know they gotta move kinda soon. It’d be a shame to lose, it’s been one of the staples of east coast skating since the 80s, a lot of good skateboarding history revolves around that place.

17 Likes

Yes please! I had a similar vision in my head.

I know we ain’t getting a full blown river, but would love to see a restaurant/brewery concept along the creek sort of like this.

12 Likes

Very exciting news. That’s going to be such an awesome location right there next to the new park. They’re going to put a ton of units there, and they’re all going to fetch top dollar, I bet. That’s a pretty aggressive timeframe for building it, too. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the oddly shaped parcel, but, yeah, just super exciting news. Very cool!

3 Likes

I have an idea. Who says no?

16 Likes

If you all really want Devereux Meadows Park to actually happen, head over to the Devereux Meadows Park thread to find out how to keep this project in our future.

13 Likes

I think that you need to add 11 floors of parking above the retail and below the apartments.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting @OakCityDylan.

Yes, please take a few minutes to send an email to Stormie.forte@raleighnc.gov.

While funding the park seems to be something a Glenwood South District D Councilor would want to support, there is apparently some resistance from Ms Forte.

The park’s location provides significant advantages to the residents of Raleigh.

• Within walking distance of the most densely populated area within the City of Raleigh.

• Provides a vital greenway (bicycle) transportation link into downtown and Union Station from the heavily populated neighborhoods in North Raleigh.

• Beautifies this Northern gateway into downtown Raleigh.

• Situated on land that cannot be developed for other uses.

17 Likes

Thanks guys. I just emailed her now and encourage everyone to do the same.

7 Likes

You get a like, my friend.

I also brought up the history of the park and paying respect to that in the development, which has been mentioned by many along the progression of the studies.

7 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout @OakCityDylan!

1 Like

Why’s that? Flooding?

Most of this site is in the floodplain and contains areas of subsurface contamination. This contamination warrants environmental remediation before becoming a public park.

This is an interesting move. The light at
West and Lenoir has been removed and is now a 2-way stop with West St being flow through. I’m guessing this is in preparation for the West St extension under the tracks? Or maybe temp?

Photo cred: @OakCityKarla

18 Likes

@OakCityKarla needs a watermark

4 Likes

I was wondering what was going on since the light had been blinking for weeks. I’d personally prefer 4-way but I suppose it’s fine.

7 Likes

It is actually still a four way stop. But the lights are down. I thought it was weird considering all the traffic that will eventually be here. So maybe it is temporary…I would prefer it to be because of the West Street Extension as @OakCityDylan mentioned.

2 Likes

Is the West St extension slated to actually happen or are we just hoping?

1 Like

It’s “in design phase” I’ve heard. Not sure if it’s funded.

4 Likes

Design planned to be complete this Fall. “Pre-Construction Mtg” planned for Winter 2023

29 Likes

For the rezoning at 418 and 424 Peace Street, 708, 714, 716, 722, 726, 804, and 818 West Street.

DX-30?
:thinking:

11 Likes