Where are Raleigh’s billionaires?

And fertilizers, apparently

Out of sheer curiosity, what neighborhood in Cary do these guys live in?

Cary’s obviously nice but the parts I’ve been in have always felt a lot more upper-middle class than billionaire-ready, so I’m clearly missing a spot.

1 Like

Goodnight and Sall live on large parcels just south of the SAS campus.

5 Likes

Hah, Makhlai’s a Russian oligarch who got out with his cash. Chapel Hill’s a nice spot, good choice for an exile crash pad.

1 Like

The two obvious Charlotte billionaires (Tepper and Jordan) only live part-time in the city. They both are based in Florida, likely in part for tax purposes. But also Charlotte is the wrong kind of financial city to produce billionaires. It’s good for middle-management high-earning banker types. But the huge money hedges and investment players are still elsewhere.

6 Likes

bankers aren’t billionaires…entrepreneurs are

The only ‘financial services’ billionaires are hedge funds & private equity…they live in New York, London, etc.

Funny thing is there’s another billionaire with Raleigh roots: Luis Bacon - Dad still lives in Raleigh.

charlotte usa still has zero

5 Likes

I was a Cary dog park member previously and went to the Jack Smith Dog Park a lot and use to see Tim Sweeny at that park all the time. There’s a neighborhood directly across the street from the dog park that I saw him walk back-and-forth from multiple times. I had to look up the name of the neighborhood on google maps street view but it’s called The Birklands. Doesn’t look anything is currently for sale but saw there was a recent $1.9 million and $2.8 million sale recently in that neighborhood.

Birklands, Cary, NC | realtor.com®

3 Likes

For a billionaire that’s practically man-of-the-people status! Good for him for hanging with the plebs.

And wait you have to be a member at Cary dog parks?

1 Like

If I were a billionaire and only had one home (doubtful), I wouldn’t want to live in a subdivision. It would either be a luxury penthouse or a completely custom home on a private parcel/estate that I completely controlled.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s the same out here in Apex. You get a pass to key in and you get access to two, soon to be three with the Downtown Cary Park, dog parks that are mulched over and divided off for big/small dogs. They also have flood lights out there for these parks too and are open till 10:00 pm. Apex is the same and has a pass that gets you into two dog parks in town.

Cary Dog Parks | Town of Cary

2 Likes

Interesting! I totally see the appeal in being able to finance nicer amenities, but it feels weird to have to pay to access to civic functions like parks.

1 Like

#dogsofprivilege :poodle: :dog2:

2 Likes

Yeah at the time my wife and I lived in a townhouse in the Crossroads area and didn’t have a fenced in yard so it worked being real close. The Holly Springs dog park is free and very, very nice too so some charge and some don’t.

2 Likes

Parks are all free but some activities are not free just like in Raleigh. Swimming pools, skate parks, boat rentals, choo choo trains, art classes, etc.

2 Likes

If I were paying to use a dog park, I’d expect someone else to pick up the :poop:

2 Likes

There’s lazy people at those parks too…trust me I stepped in someone else’s dog :poop: many times at these parks.

Billionaires need :poop: butlers.

Maybe Steve Malik can maybe enticing him to bring MLB Major League Baseball to Raleigh.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/31/wake-residents-move-johnston-chatham-high-earners.html

Chatham is where is at.

“bring MLB to Raleigh” in every thread now? Can we stop? lmao

1 Like