Wild Ideas for Raleigh

The Artery
ralartery.org

9 Likes

Not downtown Raleigh focused, but the Mountains-to-Sea trail follows the shore of Falls Lake and then wraps around the eastern edge of Raleigh along the Neuse River. I would love if we could keep developing and promoting it as an outdoor adventure across North Carolina, and make Raleigh a supporting trail town.

I did a thru-hike out west last summer and a lot of towns, big and small, really embraced the trail as a way to showcase their community.

8 Likes

Bring Legoland or Six Flags to Cary.

I mean I’ve been saying on this very forum for years now how much I think a MeowWolf Raleigh location would kill it. They’re gearing up to open a new location (again, out West) but perhaps in the near future we can entice them to make the trek out East. OR, hear me out, someone local does our own version of MeowWolf. Maybe “HowlTiger” or something.

4 Likes

Definitely. There’s a strong appetite for art here, this would fit right into that.

I’m not too familiar with Atlanta’s beltline, but I discussed how Raleigh has a beltline type greenway (Click here). All we’re really missing is the breweries or connections to bars/restaurants/breweries around. Although not far, there are quite a bit of bars/restaurants/breweries that are close to the greenway, but there isn’t much signage promoting “shopping” or “retail” things of that nature.

Here’s a list of places that have bars/breweries/restaurants near the greenway (nor more than a half mile off the main loop).

• Meredith College South (Raleigh Brewing Company, Gym Tacos, Jasmin, Lucky Tree, Brickhouse Sports Bar),
  • Meredith College North (Whole Foods, Bruegger’s Bagels, Ridgewood Wine & Beer Co)
  • Crabtree Mall (Crabtree Ale Alehouse, Food Court, other chains)
  • Crabtree Creek / Wake Forest Rd South (House of Hops, Chido Taco, Venture Pizza, BREW Coffee Bar)
  • Crabtree Creek / Wake Forest Rd North - not the most exciting shopping area but there is Gym Tacos and Chop Shop BBQ.
  • Crabtree Creek & Industrial Drive - once this connection is finished (running behind as it was expected to be completed last week), then Wegman’s will be around 1/2 mile off the greenway.
    I would like to see more commercialized areas around the Greenway. The Midtown-St. Albans plan will help.

Close, but not really bikeable for leisure riders:

• Lake Boone Trail (Buffalo Brothers, House Creek Beverage Company, The Oak, Sushi Thai, Chubbys Tacos).
  • North Hills (a bit more than 1/2 mile off the Greenway)
  • Hillsborough Street. Some parts are 1/2 mile off the Greenway. As noted on some other posts, Hillsborough Street isn’t the most bike friendly (but not necessarily bike unfriendly) area.
  • Crabtree Creek / Atlantic Avenue - With the Dock 1053 already being there and with RIW coming in, can we please prioritize this?

I’m sure there are more sections, but these are the ones I frequent the most.

6 Likes

Raleigh needs a top-notch AIRSHOW event!

I’ll grant that RDU International doesn’t support such a happening, but it seems to me the next-closest airfield suitable for an AIRSHOW is Raleigh Executive Jetport, southwest of the city near Sanford. It features ideal access via US No. 1 (as well as rail access, if you implement temporary commuter trains between there and Raleigh Union Station, hint hint).

The Jetport’s runway is long enough to support jet aerobatic teams such as the Canadian Snowbirds or the US Patriots Team (https://patriotsjetteam.com). Lots of room for military/general aviation static aircraft displays, aerospace & aviation exhibits, STEM areas, etc! Raleigh needs to develop, or redevelop its own flying heritage event!

George Jenista

2 Likes

Turn our Wake County Racetrack to a Formula 1 tracks and have a few races. Wilkesboro is hosting an all-star race in NASCAR. Austin has Circuit Of The Americas.

1 Like

Raleigh needs some sort of high speed rail to easily connect the Triangle Cities together.

I’ve ridden the MagLev train in Shanghai. The main point of having one is to move people quickly from one point to another. In Shanghai, it goes from the Pudong airport to the Pudong Lujiazui financial district. If Raleigh had one, it would need to provide efficiency in moving a lot of people. I just don’t see how Raleigh has demand for a MagLev…. But a high speed train could be better. Connect Raleigh to Durham and Chapel Hill and build a southwestern line to Charlotte.

2 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir here on that! They keep talking about it, and planning for it, and still nothing. Sad.

4 Likes

Man, that idea has been out in the wild here for a loooong time but I wouldn’t get my hopes up…

I wish we would set a goal to make ITB as car-less as possible. It’s a perfect natural boundary. Eliminate all SFH zoning and all parking minimums. Radically expand multipurpose greenways, bike lanes, sidewalks, some sort of dedicated bus or trolly system, and a subway once you hit critical mass.

5 Likes

That’s why I live downtown. I go days without getting in my car.

9 Likes

Some neighborhoods will be easier than others but definitely gotta shoot for that as an end goal. So much progress this past decade, but so much left.

Legalize street food

19 Likes

Yep, I have too. The concept alone would be an attraction. Hence a “wild idea”. A high speed train is just a “normal thing” we could really use, even if that too is a challenge to get.

This - but without the cars

4 Likes

Yes please. Just got back from Medellin, Colombia, the street food vendors were amazing.

4 Likes

Coming right up!

6 Likes