Wild Ideas for Raleigh

Not sure who in this forum would care but personally I would LOVE for Nordstrom to open a Raleigh location

4 Likes

Same here living near Crabtree. Just trying to get my spouse onboard and used to it. I work downtown and can get there decently well on my class 1 ebike. Unfortunately my spouse works at RDU which is not so easy to get to. Since some times can go past midnight, even the bus is not a viable solution. Being a class 1 does make me feel a little less comfortable on some streets where there is higher traffic. I’ve been considering moving to a Class 3 Ebike to expand my route choices.

It’s not that hard to go “car free” in a lot of areas in Raleigh, but there are different variations to it. I’ve been watching videos of a guy who commutes from Queens to Manhattan in a Namie Burn E scooter. That scooter goes up to 60MPH. While I don’t know if I’d feel comfortable going 60MPH on a scooter, I’d wonder how I’d feel about going 35-45 mph on an ebike. Not that I’d want to necessarily want to go this fast, but when the majority of retail outside of DTR is on 35-45MPH roads and traffic rarely follows those limits, wanting to go car-free currently requires someone to go excessive limits in a lot of areas within the city. I believe Hillsborough St. is 35MPH by NC State. St. Marys is 35MPH as well.

If the city isn’t going to want people zooming 35+ mph on ebikes, scooters, etc, then the overall speed limit is going to need to be reduced for all transit types. The problem I have with higher speed ebikes/scooters is that they intrude on those who ride slower. I don’t blame people for getting them though due to the high speed roads.

3 Likes

The speed limit on downtown streets has been reduced to 25 but I’m not sure how far that extends to the west. There’s supposedly a setting on Google Maps that allows you to see speed limits, but I can’t seem to make it work.

This may have started off as a wild idea, and still a very long shot, but imagine if this ended up anywhere near Raleigh.

4 Likes

Idk… if Disney starts divesting from Florida and decides to build a new park elsewhere because of the hostile conservative state gov’t… NC is literally about to take that plunge into the toilet in no time at all.

8 Likes

I could happily do without all that here. But considering our dipshit legislature keeps gerrymandering themselves more power to do dumb things, I say we’re running even with that asshat Desantis down in Florida. We also have cold winters.
:grumpy_cat:

8 Likes

Yeah Disney needs year-round warm weather and a huge international airport. Raleigh has neither.

Also, I’d rather not live in a theme park city, as you allude to.

6 Likes

I love to live in a theme park city, we have the space Roxboro could use it there our Television market includes them. Avelo has connection to the Florida and Hollywood properties and Delta is here and could upgrade as a hub.

Split Dix park into thirds (100 acres each). Keep the Northeast corner the park they have envisioned, use 100 acres for a small city zoo or a combination of Aquarium and a unique Museum like college basketball or something to that effect. Then save the other 100 for future use (or develop it and rake in some tax revenue).

4 Likes

This would not happen.

For the record, having grown up in the Orlando area all my life before moving to Raleigh, I’m not a fan of the type of environment a transient/very service industry focused demographic creates. It generally does not produce a happy/pleasant mentality. One of the biggest changes in moving to NC/Raleigh was how nice people were, and upon returning to Orlando for a visit, realizing how miserable people are there. That is largely a product of the heat/humidity and factors listed above.

8 Likes

You’re welcome…
:smirk:

Real test of your NC card was how long it took you to decipher if the ‘bless your heart’ was genuine or calling you out

1 Like

It’s either depending on context. Figuring that out earns you a merit badge.

1 Like

When I was a kid, I got real excited about the plans for Disney opening a theme park in Virginia. It never got off the ground, but I believe there is an opportunity in this region. This might be like Amazon HQ2 though, where we started out looking at one company and ended up luring a different one. Universal for instance has recently started expanding their footprint outside the Florida/California markets.

1 Like

Looks like a publicity stunt and nothing else. Legislature should work on something of value rather than just trying to troll.

2 Likes

fremontish? xxxxxtra chars

A Butler Pitch and Putt concept from ATX would thrive in Dix park.

1 Like

If not Dix, how about Capital Blvd between Five Points and Mordecai??

2 Likes

WHAT: Downtown Raleigh Alliance (DRA) invites you to bring your big ideas for Downtown Raleigh to the first Downtown Big Dream Forum on April 10th at Marbles Kids Museum from 4:30 - 6:00 pm. In partnership with Interface Studio and the City of Raleigh, DRA is hosting a community conversation where the public is invited to dream big with us about improving our downtown community. Attendees will learn more about and can contribute to the Downtown Raleigh Economic Development Strategy as we continue to gather feedback before the process winds down later this year. This is an informal, drop-in event open to Raleigh residents, business owners, visitors, and any interested community members who want to make Downtown Raleigh a more vibrant place for everyone. Register for this free event to learn more about DRA’s work and to share your big dreams for downtown with our team: Economic Development Strategy | Do Business | Downtown Raleigh, NC

WHEN: April 10, 2024 from 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM

WHERE: Zanzibar Room at Marbles Kids Museum, 201 E Hargett St., Raleigh NC 27601

9 Likes