William Peace and Seaboard Station

I’m hearing that Sunflowers is closing at the end of the month. Demo early next year?

7 Likes

yep seems they are “leaving for the coast”.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article238222904.html

(made me think American pie - realized that as about it hit post chuckles)

1 Like

That article said Brew is closing that location too…their flagship spot. I have a feeling, that despite this project, Seaboard will never recover the neat cache it had a few years ago.

To each his own, but Seaboard never excited me that much anyway. I think the future is bright for this patch of real estate. Ace hardware and Logan’s survive which is key to me.

3 Likes

18 Seaboard did and Betskis does have super loyal followings. Peace China too from what I can tell at lunch. It felt like 5 points took a turn and Peace and planted some seeds there. Logans and Sunflowers already attracted that crowd so it all dovetailed together nicely. It felt organic and homegrown and now its an out of town developer coming in and deciding what our city will be like now.

I would hardly give Seaboard Station credit for defining what our city will be like. That area has a lot of potential and hasn’t been able to live up to it as long as I’ve been around. I’ve gone there to Ace, Logan’s and once to the wine shop. I had been to Tyler’s and the concept that followed it but they needed more there to activate the area. Hopefully the new development will do that.

2 Likes

Using the old Newtons corner and taking out the tennis courts should have been done a long time ago but Peace College was Peace, being bad community participants and not letting that stuff go. (they’ve also closed two streets). I think having something fronting Halifax St would have made it feel more whole. As it was though, the things there rounded out and brought retail to a corner of downtown that had zero at that point in time. There were even big plans to build condos where the Brew strip is now but the real estate bubble killed that. Also two versions of apartments were proposed back by the sub station. Point being, there was indeed cache on top of general pragmatism to this area 15 years ago. There were two versions of a grocery store and of course Phydeux. A little ahead of their time, but the forward thinkers were giving it a go, Right there.

The grocery store (Capital Grocery I think) that was there failed because it was mis-concepted and mismanaged.

It came back a second time under…new management. Apparently they upped their hot bar but it seemed the same to me. I think it just never had a good idea what it was primarily…was it a speciality store? Was it just a smaller format general grocery store? It sort of half assed each of those. It needed to pick one. Also, not facing Peace or even having a sign facing Peace seemed like a killer to me. I fully expected it to go in the Tylers space (which at first had that little burger place Tookies and something else), but was very surprised when it ended up hiding itself away from traffic and its downtown audience.

1 Like

Improved renders of Seaboard Parcel A.

29 Likes

I see Cline Design has chosen a different little hat to go on their latest generic square.

4 Likes

I know… I was assuming it would look more like this.

I like that rooftop deck. It’ll have great views of downtown!

8 Likes

Touché. My snark has been met with snark. :wink:

4 Likes

Very impressive design, will blend in well with smoky hollow 1, 2, and 3 if this becomes reality and gets built.

3 Likes

Much MUCH better than the last one!

Current shots of Seaboard Station prior to construction.

View of DTR skyline from Seaboard.

23 Likes

When is the Archdale Building supposed to come down?

2 Likes

/s? Not at all. Source…I work in it.

5 Likes

Old rumor. I can’t even find it any more.

Not soon enough. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes