William Peace and Seaboard Station

It was in the McCrory Project Phoenix ‘maybe’ section.

Is that the PS2 building?

10 Likes

Can’t wait for this one to get started. Downtown needs a defined northern border, and I feel like this will provide it. And hopefully will give the state the push it needs to start doing something with the rest of their under-utilized property.

6 Likes

I hope never. Once it’s surrounded by cooler looking buildings y’all will finally appreciate it for its “so-ugly-it’s-cute” appeal like I do :triumph:

10 Likes

You can have your Playstation building, @Jake. I’d MUCH prefer us build more tall buildings before we start tearing down one of our tallest. There are barely any windows so just build up around it so you can’t see it as well from 99% of angles.

6 Likes

Exactly! Hell, paint it black and literally call it the “PS2 Building” - it would become a tourist destination!

6 Likes

I think that was for the original soccer stadium plan. They were supposed to buy 13 acres right there and take down a bunch of buildings. Pretty sure that’s been completely given up on in favor of DoSo.

1 Like

What exactly is in that building?

I agree. I made a similar point about the Holiday Inn. When buildings like that are the only/ most prominent tall buildings around they tend to garner negative reactions, but when they are surrounded by other buildings and don’t dominate the skyline it is easier to appreciate them as examples of interesting and quirky architecture.

11 Likes

gubment.
:wink:
In all seriousness, did y’all know that One Glenwood is the same height as the Archdale Building? Archdale seems taller, probably because of its small footprint. IMO, the shame of the Archdate Building is that it’s a poor use of land. It’s sitting on a ton of valuable land in a park-like setting. If a proper tower would be built there, the state could probably unload a lot of other parcels throughout the city and consolidate employees around Halifax Mall. There’s even a completely empty parcel there on N. Salisbury that the State could use to build another building.

3 Likes

I kind of like the building itself but its orientation needs work. I proposed (to the McCrory project Phoenix team) realigning the wishbone streets back to a grid, and putting a short cut over block where the wishbone is. Then, build a building, fronting Peace, in between that new street and Peace with a pedestrian flyover to the Archdale Building. This new building would be the new state visitor center for the government complex with bus parking just off this cut over street (angled to fit like 10 buses like a greyhound station). Then the ground floor of the Archdale becomes something of a promenade and will adjoin a new path down the Halifax mall straight to the Legislature.

2 Likes

They have begun tearing down sunflower already. This was last night leaving work.

10 Likes

Goodnight, old Hardee’s. Or was it a Burger King? In any case, it was nice while it was Sunflowers. I wish them well in their future endeavors.

1 Like

My wife spoke with the owner on their last week of business and said with her increasing age and increasing rental rates, she wasn’t in the position to take out another loan and start another restaurant location.
Sad really, because around the spring time she was about to pull the trigger on a dinner menu which I was really looking forward towards.
Their honestly isn’t a replacement lunch-time sandwich place that I can think of with the same quality of ingredients and price. If there is a place downtown please tell me

Sosta is quite good for sandwiches

2 Likes

Plus if you challenge the owner to a game of foosball, he will happily oblige, and will also happily kick your ass.

2 Likes

Got my aerial shots just in time!
:timer_clock: :stopwatch: :watch:

Manhattan Cafe? :man_shrugging:

Sorry if this has been said… but when should we see this project start? And do we know of any large anchor stores going in anywhere?

Hardees. I ate there when it was Hardees.
Also I don’t think its dumpster demo time…I think they are carrying some things to Ocracoke with them for the new place (based on the careful disassembling and stacking in a truck…might be ‘parting out’ too)

1 Like