William Peace and Seaboard Station

Even with its stratospheric growth, Austin still has a moat of government offices and parking lots dividing downtown from UT and points north. Unless our state government gets a lot more motivated, we’re probably doomed to a similar fate for a long time to come.

Speaking of, doesn’t the state gov’t need to start spending money on their new buildings and upgrades soon? The History Museum is fundraising at least.

12 Likes

We can write this off, because the development around it will make it look irrelevant.

Has anyone seen a good, updated site map for the redevelopment of Seaboard Station? I know The Line is wrapping up, and Hyatt House is underway, just trying to figure out what the other tower crane is working on…

The plans and everything else are embedded in the string above but, essentially Hoffman is working on a mixed use (hotel) building along Peace and another mixed use (residential) building over parking adjacent to the almost finished but not yet move-in ready (apartment) building built last year…
Render below - not mine, so like all renders not 100% true to actual outcome…

18 Likes

Thanks! Much appreciated!

So those are the current cranes, Hoffman also has plans for the rear parcels and another developer has the station itself. If it wasn’t 1:30am I’d scroll back and grab them for you :sleeping:

7 Likes

Half the retail space of the first building is leased. Anyone know what is going in yet?

6 Likes

That’s really encouraging! Where did you hear this?

Mattress Firm, Taz relocating, CBD gummy store, and a Cricket phone outlet.

3 Likes

9 Likes

That sounds like Pittsboro!!

10 Likes

Other than the Taz’s, all those stores are most often found in Suburbia

2 Likes

Seen ‘‘em all in Rawleigh proper

29 Likes

So is this now ground floor retail and a half story of apartments?
:thinking:

1 Like

Random thought. Unlikely to happen, but would anyone else be in favor of reducing Peace St down to 2 lanes, making it more multimodal and adding a median with some greenery? It still does not seem very inviting to me to walk or bike from Seaboard (or even N. Person) to Glenwood South/Smokey Hollow and with all the new residence that could come online in these blocks over the next 10 years + the new park it would be nice to calm traffic as much as possible and facilitate non car transportation. The all important vibes would be better as well.

21 Likes

Agreed. It’ll be interesting to see how access to Devereux Meadows influences Peace Street (if at all) too.

Peace Street has been my cross street since 1996, so I’ve seen a lot of changes and am really familiar with it. For context, Peace is all of the following:

1. East/West connector across the north side of downtown. It’s the furthest, uninterrupted, northern street that can take you from the east side of downtown to the west.
  2. Corridor for east siders to access The Village District: the nearest and most comprehensive shopping district for downtowners.
  3. The first gateway to downtown on approach from Capital Blvd from the north.
  4. The access to much of the state employees’ parking at the decks on Salisbury.

Many moons ago now, some of us here (led by @dtraleigh ) tried to influence the city/state to eliminate the overpass intersection and return Peace/Capital to an at grade intersection. Clearly we failed and the talking points above were part of the reason we continue to have an overpass type intersection, even if it’s a better version than what we had previously.
In any case, the section of Peace from Capital to Salisbury in particular is wide to accommodate commuters in cars heading to and from the thousands of spaces in the state decks, though today I question how many of those spaces are used daily. Even the square loop exit from Capital southbound to Peace eastbound was designed to accommodate the state commuter traffic.
The western section of Peace, especially west of Glenwood, gets pretty crowded and there is often backed up traffic heading east as the Peace/Glenwood intersection acts like a chokepoint. In a way, I am okay with it being a choke point because it keeps traffic moving slowly through this corridor that’s more pedestrian oriented and scaled. There are a lot of driveways and I don’t think that the turn lane could be eliminated in favor of a planted median. That stretch of Peace has already lost lanes and there’s not many choices left beyond seizing property and widening the road, and I’m certainly NOT in favor of that happening.
Beyond West Street to the east, I can definitely imagine some planted islands to change the nature of the wider stretch, and I think that the mission of the road should be reconsidered vis-a-vis any variances in post pandemic road demand from State employees. That said, there are still hundreds if not thousands of new housing units coming to the stretch between West St. and Seaboard Station, and those will unfortunately come with cars until we have more robust transit.

13 Likes

I’d love to see some streetscaping on the western span of Peace. Bury power lines, widen sidewalks, landscape.

10 Likes

That was promised to us decades ago. I’m still holding my breath for it!
There was also supposed to be a re-envisioning of Boylan to a green street or something like that. Still waiting for that too.

3 Likes