William Peace and Seaboard Station

I have a project finishing up at The Wharf! Seaboard also doesn’t have a continuous waterfront. sigh…

1 Like

I mean there’s a little waterfall fountain… Is that not going to bring in the crowds? :wink:

3 Likes

How about an art installation, projected river running between the buildings?

3 Likes

you just reminded me, I took these just for you!

8 Likes

imagine a Paragon or CineBistro there :face_holding_back_tears: a man can dream…

5 Likes

gourmet hotdogs and/or something akin to gc/dc? https://order.grilledcheesedc.com/

Ugh, and then not pictured is the MASSIVE blank brick wall next to this. Just one long continuous stretch of absolutely nothing lmao. I’m think they GOTTA be planning to screen this hideous concrete-cliffside with SOMETHING right???

3 Likes

Just a personal (and probably semi-uninformed) opinion but it feels like this development was destined to not be as attractive for a couple reasons. Both relating to the streetscape on that section of Peace Street. More specifically, that Shell Station acts as a barrier which prevents any sort of on the street activation. Instead of casually walking by this new development and seeing what exists there, you’d have to actively seek out the businesses within it. Not the worst thing ever, but the location of it being sort of tucked away doesn’t seem to help its attractiveness. Compounding all of this is that this is an active area for pedestrians, cyclists or scooterists(?) going to and from Glenwood to Person Street/Oakwood, however the city or State DOT doesn’t seem to acknowledge this fully and haven’t made any attempts to widen sidewalks or fully connect the bike lanes. It would also be cool to have an easier connection point on the backside of Seaboard via Halifax or Delway Streets.
(This is also my first post to the community so go easy on me if I neglect any future details of this project that address these gaps :smiley:)

28 Likes

Fine first post! I agree with much of this! Unsure of any more connections to the backside, but when I was making an Ace Hardware run last weekend, I did note that it would be beneficial to have another street connection from that farrrr far back parking lot (which I’m sure will end up becoming another building in the future).

3 Likes

im not sure on this one…when i lived in and now visit raleigh, i kind of liked riding my bike ‘back into’ the seaboard area…it got me off of peace and seemed to be a nice enclave without asphalt and traffic dominating. the area like many others still needs better and safer bike linkages…fully agree now that the surrounding spaces are getting vastly more dense.

This is one development I’ve been really following for a long time now. I lived in DC for a couple years and loved the Wharf. Given Seaboard’s proximity to downtown, Glenwood South, and Person St., it’s situated in a centralized area - but all of the retail is so far off the street given that the Shell and other row of retail is still there.

I get that there’s still items to be announced/opened there, but there’s a ton of retail space - and they still have future planned phases of this project. Everything that’s been announced thus far is pretty bland IMO. Starbucks, Acai bowl spot, health studio, etc. We obviously won’t have something like the Anthem at the Wharf, but would like to see them announce something that really draws people to that area.

12 Likes

I think a lot of local businesses will be more drawn to it once the construction mess is out of the way.
In my 30 years in this city I don’t think I’ve seen a major construction project downtown that has impacted neighboring businesses as bad as this one has. It’s a miracle most of them haven’t closed up, due to how impossible it is for patrons to drive in and park—or even walk about! I practically get a migraine everytime I need to go there these days.
I know—the project is wrapping up so this comment is pretty Moot…LOL. But, I think to your question though, it explains why a lot are so hesitant to move in yet. They see that…clusterf–k of a mess (pardon my french) and it kinda scares them.

5 Likes

I think one big problem with Seaboard is its lack of pedestrian connectivity to large residential areas very close to it. All of Peace is in need of a makeover - especially this section. Not really a fun walk or bike ride. Would love to see a big road diet down with protected bike lanes, bigger sidewalks down the entire stretch and/or if we are dreaming a pedestrian bridge connecting the back end of the development to the future Smoky Hollow Park.

10 Likes

I still want a big, artistically designed pedestrian bridge/platform structure over Capital Blvd that would allow people to walk between Seaboard and N West St + into Fairview area, which would essentially allow pedestrian connectivity between Glenwood South, the forthcoming Smoky Hollow park, Five Points, and Seaboard. Could have a bike and pedestrian walking bridge similar to what was built over 440 between Wade Ave and the NCMA greenways.

15 Likes

Absolutely! I think I posted something similar on here a few times haha

1 Like

This here is such a waste of prime downtown space. I hope the state will eventually find some use out of the property or sell or long term lease the property to a developer. This will help remove some of the reasons Seaboard Station feels so isolated.

Given the elevation difference between Seaboard Station and this property you can even build a pedestrian bridge over Peace Street from the second or third floor of what gets build on this land.

15 Likes

This is a dreadful stretch with a ton of street frontage.
Like much of DTR, we’ve got these pockets of great development that need just need to be connected.

7 Likes

Too bad that “music/entertainment” venue that is approved for DTS couldn’t go here… Would really liven up the area and connect Smokey Hollow (I’m keeping the “e” damnit!!) and Seaboard along Peace. Oh well, just another dream for another day.

12 Likes

I just finished a project for my company at The Wharf. The differentiator there is, well…it has an actual wharf! The river makes a huge difference.

10 Likes

Agreed! The actual body of water at the Wharf is something we can’t replicate here in Raleigh.

I just look at all that’s been announced for Seaboard thus far and still end up being pretty disappointed with Seaboard’s evolution so far. Part of it is the inherent challenges of the site being set off from the street, stuck between Peace and Capital, and across from governmental buildings - but it hasn’t felt like much has been announced for this project to this point that will overcome those challenges.

Really interested to see how this one changes as the initial phases are complete to see if that shifts. Lots of new residents and lots of retail space, would like to see it succeed long term.

7 Likes