Zimmer - Peace at Capital (SE Corner) - 506 Capital Blvd

Looks good! Did they mention the size of the ‘unicorn’ needed? Do they need a ‘Pendo’ sized business or somewhere in the realm of a Fortune 1000 headquarters move?

Waiting on a unicorn is why we have so many dead projects do they know this, I wonder?

5 Likes

I think there are a lot of variables to consider to answer that question. I don’t think it needs to be an HQ if it’s a Fortune 100 regional office for instance. They won’t build on spec (confirmed again tonight) but if they can get an anchor tenant to take down 50% of the commercial space, that would likely be a starter. That can’t happen until they get rezoning approval of course.

1 Like

Thanks, @JWH! I wish there had been more people there. Hopefully we can get a larger crowd for the vote.

1 Like

Couldn’t they be courting the state to house government employees, at least the ones they don’t push to the hinterlands?

3 Likes

Seems like a potential tenant.

Awesome looking building. Has a bit of the form of the Quorum building, but with the modern blue glass look. The triangular ‘balconies’ are the first I’ve even seen and an intriguing feature.

Is the top part residential? And the lower office? Is that lower section 10 stories, not counting lobby level(s). Being that close to the core, and on the transit corridors, should be easy enough to fill.

1 Like

Makeup of the building is TBD but ground floor almost certainly retail.

1 Like

@OakCityDylan good to see you this morning. Hope your croissant :croissant: was good. Unfortunately, I will be out of town on 9/10. Hope we can drum up support from this group and others (?) to attend the CAC vote.

Wow looks awesome, thanks guys for the into! I think if we get the first 40 story rezoning through other dominos will fall :slight_smile: with that being said the next weeks/months will be critical and we need to show full support

Any information on the “proposed” 20 story hotel across the street?

6 Likes

I must say, the new “Layered Croissanterie” off West is really good. They use Counter Culture coffee and their food is really good. HIGHLY recommended! Now, back on topic, we have got to work on activating our neighbors at the West. Let’s put some thought into that. We could easily blow out the vote at these meetings just with our building.

4 Likes

I haven’t heard any rumblings about that project in many many months. I think there’s something in the Smoky Hollow thread somewhere but it’s buried.

Ya, a 20 story hotel is quite the deal here - all the other hotels in pipeline are well under 15 stories.
I thought the lot (marked by a ‘4’ in the diagram) just across from the Peace project (‘3’) was for a future park.

1 Like

Nice, thanks for sharing. Could be a cool project, though I’m dubious about the chances this one would happen in this firm. Aesthetically I don’t love when a building is so much taller than everything else around it, but if this, Kane’s 40 story, and the 20-story office all went up I think it would be a great entry into downtown.

3 Likes

Plus, we have not idea if there will be a Smokey Hollow Phase IV on the Wake County property immediately south of Phase III…

3 Likes

Guess that depends on if and when county puts the land up for bids and if Kane is willing to outbid any other bidders.

And if Phase 3 moves forward.

You very well may be right, as this is an expansion of their traditional scope of work, but I was encouraged when they stated that they would not need outside capital to fund the project. Whatever the project ends up being, they will own 100% of it. I got the impression these guys know what they’re doing.

6 Likes

Thanks for the extra info and sharing your impressions. Very interesting that they said they would not need outside capital. You are correct that a lot of my doubt comes from their lack of track record with anything this ambitious. Hope they can pull it off!

1 Like

In past, only State agencies that ‘have their own money’ were sent to non-State owned facilities. E.g., those that run primarily on Federal funds or generate substantial receipts. Interestingly my agency is both of those…

The area to the east of the creek is going to be a park. West of that will be developed. Maybe that star references that part of the block?

1 Like