301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

Sorry I didn’t pay that close attention to the picture and I couldn’t get it larger so I just took it for your word. Closer look, yeah shovels…a whole bunch of shovels.

In case anyone cares, this is the speech from the ceremony. Nothing too interesting…

6 Likes

Spectrum’s coverage Developers Break Ground on Downtown's Raleigh Crossing

4 Likes

Construction is going very slowly. No heavy equipment, not fencing, no major activity.

Also, should the title of this thread change to Raleigh Crossing? Shoud be have a separate thread for every tower in this project like the Pendo tower?

4 Likes

Please let’s not give in and start actually calling it Raleigh Crossing
301Hillsbo, RalCro or even the Building Formerly Known as Surface Parking Lots is better.

6 Likes

I’ve already started calling it RoCro…

5 Likes

It’s still “The Hillsborough”, and it’s been about to happen for 10+ years, and all these other names I’m hearing are fake news. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

They don’t have a building permit yet. It hasn’t been approved. But, they should have a grading permit. It has been approved.

3 Likes

Was just in the Lower Johnson district in Victoria. Yes, LoJo. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Clearly off topic but wanted to share that Fallon got selected to develop the old police property in downtown Durham. Architect Duda Paine. Hope they still have capacity and appetite for Raleigh

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article235227697.html

2 Likes

No architects or developers in Durham good enough?

Duda Paine is a Durham architecture firm. :roll_eyes:

But Turan Duda graduated from the School of Design at State in Raleigh…so there’s that.

1 Like

Weinstein Friedein snd Duda Paine are Durham architecture firms.

The other design team being considered was Perkins and Will, also Durham architects located next door to the site.

To be fair, Perkins & Will is a Global firm HQ’d in Chicago. They have an office in Durham. That would be like saying Gensler is a Raleigh firm because they have an office in OneGlenwood.

This particular studio is the legacy Freelon Group practice, founded in Durham three decades ago and acquired by Perkins and Will about five years ago. It has strong Durham roots and had a role in constructing some of downtown Durham’s most important public projects, like the transportation center, Human Services Building, and Bulls Stadium. The point is: the design talent pursuing this project was all local… it’s not like outsiders swooped in with proposals.

And Gensler’s office in Raleigh was also an acquisition of a local firm. This is trend with A&E firms. Like with tech companies, they are acquired.

mhm! That’s not the point though. This was in response to UncleJesse’s question of if no architects in Durham were good enough.

A homegrown practice made up of designers who live and work in the area is still local talent, even if their support network is global. We’re lucky enough to have a world-class pool of design talent here in the Triangle, as you know! I’ll stop straying off topic now :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re lucky to have the state’s premier design school in Raleigh to pump out terrific architects!

5 Likes

Protective tree fencing up around old oaks near sidewalk. They are trying to keep them.

2 Likes