301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

Fallon’s office in the brick house is a temporary and final use of the structure. They will eventually move into the building under construction.

Well, folks, it appears that the wakegov.com real estate site is not the bestest place to get accurate historical information. What I was led to believe was a Maynard/Peele house, is in fact the Henry Hicks mansion. Check back for future updates…

It was sold to the Fallon Group in 2016 where it currently serves as their construction office for 301 Hillsborough/Raleigh Crossing. This will be the last use of the structure before demolition and making way for Phase 3 of the project. The Fallon Group has confirmed that the house will not be relocated again.

8 Likes

305/301 Hillsborough - Block 86

It’s interesting that for a structure which sat at such a prominent location for so long as it did, the former 301 Hillsborough (demolished 2007), does not appear to have left much of an internet presence in its absence. @dtraleigh appears to have the is the largest repository of online info for this previous structure in its latter days. No love for the old 301. :laughing:

So, going in to the Wayback Machine…

Eighteenth Century

According to the Christmas Plan of 1797, the State of North Carolina purchased 1000 acres of land from Joel Lane for the sum total of $6,000. After setting aside land for public use, there was a preparation of 276 one-acre lots. The auction produced a significant degree of speculation with the entirety bringing the state a total of $33,065. The land on the southwest corner of Dawson and ‘Hillsboro’ was purchased at auction by a Charter Brigg (possibly of Brigg’s Hardware). The auctioned land went for any where between $120 to $240 an acre, but later quickly appreciated afterwards in value to $6,000 per acre.

Nineteenth Century

Fast-forward to the mid-Nineteenth Century, a largish estate with servants quarters behind had been built by Enfield native Lawrence O’Brian Branch at 305 ‘Hillsboro.’

Also known as L O’B Branch, he was a newspaperman, attorney, and early president with the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad moving to Raleigh in 1852. Serving in Congress for North Carolina’s 4th District in the 34th, 35th, and 36th Congresses, with the Secession he enlisted in the North Carolina Militia with the Raleigh Rifles. Soon afterwards, he was made Quartermaster General for North Carolina. Later appointed to the rank of Brigadier-General, he was killed at the Battle of Antietam in 1862.

His widow, Ann ‘Nancy’ Haywood Blount Branch (1817-1903) continued residence at 305 maintaining a long-term state of mourning while pursuing her commitment towards honoring the memories of those who had died, like her husband, in the conflict. She passed away in 1903.

Twentieth Century

The estate was eventually sold after Mrs. Branch’s death to Edgar C Hillyer II (1858-1931). An engineer and 1882 graduate of M.I.T, he was the president of Carolina Garage and Machine, then Raleigh Ice and Electric, while also being president of the Carolina Country Club. Mr. Hillyer’s family supported the Disciples of Christ congregation which eventually built a new/current structure at the north east corner of Hillsboro and Saint Mary’s and named after the family for their support. The house was updated from the original Branch structure with the addition of the large columned porch seen in this 1920 photograph while also removing the bulk of the servant’s quarters across the back of the property on Morgan Street.

The estate at 305 later fell on hard times after Mr. Hillyer’s death and later with the death of his wife, Augusta Kuper Hillyer (1869-1945), first being converted to Overby Funeral Home, and then was finally a rooming house.

The Baptist State Convention had their offices around the corner from Olivia Raney Library, which is now a parking lot for First Presbyterian Church on Hargett Street. The convention bought the old Branch/Hillyer estate, cleared it and opened their new headquarters building there in 1957. Called the ‘Baptist Building’ with the new address of 301 Hillsborough, it was expanded on at least two occasions.

Eventually outgrowing their current location, they built a new headquarters campus adjacent to Cary Town Center. Moving in 1981, the 301 complex next became a regional office for the Instrument Society of America (now the International Society of Automation). They, in turn, moved out to RTP in 1991.

According to Goodnight Raleigh, the final occupant (and this was news to me) was the Raleigh PD. This explains how the City of Raleigh came into ownership of the property. I have no further information than what was shared by John Morris. Leo may have another scrap of information tucked away somewhere in the Wayback Room.

http://goodnightraleigh.com/2007/11/old-police-dept-prepares-to-get-smashed/

Twenty-first Century

After demolition, there had been planned the construction of ‘The Hillsborough’ / ‘Reynolds Tower’ in 2007. The asking price for the site was $4.5M at that time.

That proposal failed after multiple extension requests. Then, the Lundy Group purchased the site in 2016 from the city of Raleigh for $6.3M. Their City Centre proposal went through a number of iterations with this being the last one sent for review…

The land was then sold to the Fallon Group in 2018 for $17M for the project which is currently undergoing construction…

9 Likes

I think that the proposed tower can be seen in this rendering from 2007.

4 Likes

So, with enough pullback and a wider lens field, the Fayetteville titans can be brought into the same view with the Hillsborough wannabes…

I remember that pic of those proposed towers. 13 years old.
We sure got bamboozled on all of em - I don’t think a single one of those happened.

We long time Raleigh skyscraper fans have been through a lot of dashed hopes. That’s why we’re so happy to see a strong pick up in activity.

8 Likes

Some decent height on the city municipal campus and something finally being built on the former N&O property will go a long way toward filling in the gaps in this shot.

3 Likes

The Convention Center and RBC / PNC tower are the only ones that happened. The Marriott got a complete redesign. The Edison sure looks nice tucked in the background…

2 Likes

I would argue that the FNB Tower we got is better than what was rendered in its place, here. With that and Charter Square, it looks like the same height that these would’ve been, but with a bigger footprint.

EDIT: though, I do like the crown in this render, looks almost like an actual King’s crown!

2 Likes

I’m drawing a blank about what was lurking behind the RBC/PNC tower.

Edison when it was originally proposed and no renderings were available.

@dbearhugnc this render is exactly why I’d rather that lot stay empty for a few more years until a monster skyscraper is proposed, rather than jump the gun to build a 20 story box there. Look at the potential in this image - that could be such a skyline boost.

5 Likes

email from Fallon:

On behalf of The Fallon Company, we hope that you’ve had a great start to your new year. As our construction process continues for 301 Hillsborough, we want to continue to provide you all with updates. There will be heavy utility work from this Friday, February 14th at 6PM to Monday, February 17th at 6AM. Traffic lanes will be changing, and the intersection of Morgan St and Harrington St will be shut down as a part of these new improvements.

4 Likes

16 Likes

Looking great with that 2nd level underway.

1 Like

After waay too many edits, but with a last minute share of a 1920 pic of 305 Hillsboro sent to me by Ian Dunn / Olde Raleigh - NC, I’m finished. Enjoy!!

7 Likes

From the Christmas map, it appears the good people of Winton were out muscled by the Edenton contingency. Hence Winton became Edenton Street.

1 Like
10 Likes

Thanks for sharing this ! Very impressive .

2 Likes

Completely agree. Great story!
Now, I give them around the 8-10 year mark before there sold and move…sorry to be a Debbie Downer but it is what Raleigh is truly known for…great ideas to start and sale or be bought. From start ups to banks, makes me think how often the Capital for NC actually moved from place to place. Maybe we could move to Rocky Mount and start the city over again? Sorry everyone, not quite enough to drink…Lol :blush:

3 Likes

Took a dive down the rabbit hole of history this past week. Found some interesting nuggets about the corner where the Fallon Company’s development office is currently located.

Enjoy!

3 Likes