301 Hillsborough / Raleigh Crossing

Kind of a silly question, but it’s inspired by this building - does anyone know when Google Maps updates their satellite imagery? It always throws me off that this one is still a parking lot.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to figure that out for a while now. Street View images are dated, but satellite images are not. I think they do certain sections at a time, though, so I guess it’s harder to indicate “this part of the map is from 2022, this part is from 2020” or whatever.

2 Likes

Google Earth is updated. Usually when Google Earth updates they upload that to GoogleMaps but for some reason they haven’t.

Google Earth has March and September of 21 uploaded but GoogleMaps is still showing 2019.

ARCGIS also has imagery from Feb 2021

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?layers=10df2279f9684e4a9f6a7f08febac2a9

8 Likes

Google Earth has updated their imagery showing March 2022 now. The new Pendo building looks very nice. I’m just betting on when Phase 2 will begin.

Sometimes I guess updates are frequent and whatnot. Where I live, they still have the imagery from March 2018. So, I guess it just depends on where they want to update it or not.

2 Likes

Hint: never (extra characters)

3 Likes

30 Likes

A tech company called RapidScale is taking a full floor at 301 Hillsborough.

The company is based in California and in 2017 picked Raleigh for its east coast headquarters with just five people. Now it is over 100 and plans to add 40 more.

Great to see activity in the DTR office market!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/08/31/rapidscale-moves-downtown-raleigh-office-new-tower.html

27 Likes

Yet everyone on Reddit and shit been saying “the office market is dead why are they still planning office buildings wahhh wahhhh” :rofl:

3 Likes

CEO’s are starting to wake up

5 Likes

The office market is most assuredly changing, but that doesn’t mean that it is going away. However, it is shifting from a legacy type of office filled with cubicles and offices to something different, something more collaborative and purposeful, and for an increasing number of companies that means supporting hybrid workers. More and more companies are moving to this model and that means that they will take less space than in the past, and that it will operate differently.

8 Likes

I worked at RapidScale and was employee #2 here in Raleigh. :slight_smile:

Also, at the State of Downtown Raleigh yesterday the Economic Development guy mistakenly said they were moving into The Dillon. They have in fact started construction at 301 and even have naming rights to the southeast corner of the parking deck facing Morgan (not optimal for branding, but it’s what was left).

10 Likes

I was chatting with a couple of brokers this week and it sounds like the phase 2 lot it’s going up for sale soon.

9 Likes

Thanks for the news. I have mixed feelings, since I guess hoping that the Fallon Company would change their mind and come back with residential that would work there without too much more delay. But I think we all assumed that wouldn’t happen now. So glad to see some movement at least. Hopefully it gets sold to someone ready to build. Also curious if the Flying Saucer decides to sell this time or not.

11 Likes

Good news IMO. Bring on a new vision.

3 Likes

Honestly that’s fantastic news- willing to bet money that whoever buys it will request a 40-story rezone, and now with the State of Beer lot and the Legends lot being granted the same, it’s all but guaranteed this could be rezoned as well. Height variation baby!!! I was never a fan of Fallon’s design for the whole lot - one giant parking deck pedestal with 3 exact-same-height towers BARF - also hope the old brick house on the corner- along with Flying Saucer building - are untouched, and they just build between Pendo and them.

2 Likes

In the spirit of height variation, what do you think about DX-30 for phase 2? That’s what the Edenton/Harrington recent rezoning ended up with (mostly because of their neighboring church I believe).

2 Likes

I say 50 stories would be better height variation. One skinny, 50 story glass tower directly next to Flying Saucer. Perfect!

1 Like

Hey, yeah, that’s great. Anything 25-stories and up would be great to break up the monotony a bit (with 400H, Pendo, and soon the Kimpton hotel which will all be around the same height @ 20-stories)

4 Likes

I always had my doubts with Fallon, especially after they fumbled so badly the whole old Durham police HQ development. Hopefully fresh eyes with a fresh design can produce something worthwhile here. That parking lot sticks out like a sore thumb next to the big bright and shiny new building IMO

3 Likes

Interesting. I agree with everyone else that some height variation would be nice, and hopefully also breaking up that potential block long parking deck.

IMO it is odd they went ahead with the office but not the Multifamily, which is much more in demand right now.

5 Likes