400 Hillsborough Tower

Just curious, are all the lines around that block being moved? Looking on GE looks like power lines are over sidewalks on E, N, and W sides? Are they being put underground or to other sides of streets.

Relocated may have been the wrong word. The line will still be in the same location but a pole will be placed in the middle of the block with all the wire braced out over the road and away from the building. This is required to meet the minimum distance the wire can be from the building. This is only needed for the transmission line which is the bigger structures on the west side. I’m not sure what will happen with the distribution on the other blocks.

From looking at google street view… there are a LOT of overhead lines feeding into/coming from that substation. It would be really awesome for that whole part of town if we could start putting them underground as the area is built up. From my professional POV, I am screaming no, no, no!!! But as a proponent of DTR, put all the utilities underground and it will make the area look a lot cleaner without all the aerial clutter.

7 Likes

Do you think they will actually proceed to construction anytime soon? I like this project but the only hopeful hint I have seen in forever is these power lines lol

Something seems to be progressing

It doesn’t look like that it has been submitted for a building permit yet. So, it will be awhile based on how long it seems to take to get one once the drawings have been submitted.

1 Like

The pole was installed over the weekend. I was wrong about the design but none the less the developer should be in the clear to start construction.

1 Like

But is there actually any plan to start building?

4 Likes

An article in today’s TBJ has an interesting tidbit about this building. The article is mostly about a few different banks jockeying for share here in the Triangle, but in the middle of the article it mentions that Fifth Third Bank has had discussions with 400H about anchoring the building and putting up signage.

The article clearly states that the discussions were high-level/preliminary and that they are weighing several options, but this is the first actual news I have heard about the site in a while and I thought it was worth posting.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/08/13/bold-plans-pnc-fifth-third-bank-execs-talk-raleigh.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

21 Likes

Well, that’s encouraging! Thanks for sharing the news and the link!

1 Like

Hey, thanks for posting this.

Wow to me it seems like if they are publicizing this they are likely going to 400H. Or perhaps they are trying to manipulate some other building into offering better terms.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine how cool it would be to have 400H, Pendo, Nexus all start around the same time.

4 Likes

The horror!!! How will we get around town with all the traffic???

(I’m excited too!)

Edit: AND THE SHADOWS??? :new_moon_with_face:

10 Likes

HomeAlone

It’s ok, these are all in the “taper zone”.

3 Likes

Not sure if a link to all of renderings were shared but here it is 400 Hillsborough

3 Likes

I’d bet that Fifth Third Bank is in talks with Nexus, Edison, 121 Fayetteville and Kane’s North Hills tower along with 400H. Trying to get the best rate.

7 Likes

If they were smart they would go with 121 Fayetteville so they can match the height with the other 3 bank towers.

7 Likes

As Chase expands their footprint in the Triangle, they’ll probably be looking for some trophy-level office space, too.

7 Likes