401 Hillsborough Street

Looks like its the whole block now…

Sad for Roast Grill. But also probably inevitable.

10 Likes

I am putting my foot down for historic preservation and stating unequivocally that it is critical that they save the Hot Wieners sign.

Otherwise, let’s see some height!

12 Likes

Roast Grill opened over 80 years ago, has great character, and we’re just gonna trash it. Will be another sad loss for Raleigh and I don’t even like hot dogs.

4 Likes

It’s a great storefront with the sign, awning, and octagonal window, but the building itself is a nothing.

I know the owners are getting up there in age, and I’m assuming their kids don’t really want to run the place. Are you going to force the city to run the restaurant?

10 Likes

Let’s hope George and his mother walk away with something substantial. Lord knows they need a vacation

3 Likes

Not sure where to put this but the building at 415 Hillsborough is apparently getting a mural

14 Likes

Given Canes season is upon us, I wonder if it’s another one of his amazing Hurricanes murals?
:hurricanes:
Although Dix Conservancy is tagged, so maybe not.

5 Likes

What a lovely day for this thread to be bumped - Planning Commission recommends approval of rezoning of 401 Hillsborough to DX-40, City Council meeting on 9/6.

13 Likes

Approve it and raise their property taxes concurrently.

3 Likes

20 Likes

Love murals, but isn’t this buildings last days numbered? Or is it not part of the 401 project? :thinking:

3 Likes

Even if it’s days are numbered, it’ll still probably be a good while before we see any sort of movement on this site. Last I remember, the land got rezoning approved but there are no current plans or even proposals, far as I know.

2 Likes

I was thinking that too, but the rezoning request skips this building while using the rest of the block.

6 Likes

20 Likes

Post Labor Day update. Liking how this one looks.

37 Likes

Public hearing set for 10/4

4 Likes

Check out the newest update in the Wire Service - I think it means it’s the whole block now.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2015?u=oakcityyimby

1 Like

The PDF still shows the same plot as before. Not the whole block.

2 Likes

Ah, I clicked through the “Updated Location” link in the Wire Service post and it just went right to a map with all the lots highlighted, while the previous link only had the initial L-shaped lot.

1 Like

I clicked updated location and still see just the L shaped combined parcels.

1 Like