401 Hillsborough Street

There was this a month ago…

Looks like all the addresses are listed for all the plots?

5 Likes

Alright so I guess the thought that the new mural on that brick building won’t last for very long was correct haha - that’s a shame (thought it still probably won’t be for years that anything happens here)

There is a lot of rezoning happening under this council that won’t bear fruit for many years, if not a decade. I think that property owners recognize that this is the window of opportunity to get property rezoned and the pendulum will swing to a future council of no.

8 Likes

It’s important that we vote for a council who will continue the current council’s work. We should also push friends/others to do the same. I’ve been seeing a lot of people and news coverage talking about how the current council and development is bad. The good thing is I see a lot who argue for them on those posts as well.

12 Likes

Yeah were at war with these NIMBYs I’m concerned about this election. We have to fight like hell Minu Lee, Cat Lawson, Jen Truman, Corey Branch, David Knight, Johnathan Melton, Stormie Forte, Mary Ann Baldwin.

2 Likes

Rezoning Approved. Someone correct me if they heard differently, but sounds like Roast Grill may be staying in the redeveloped building (in a larger space which they want) and also sounds like state of beer has a leasehold here as well.

6 Likes

Sorry, I got confused. State of Beer is in this same block, so wouldn’t they be in the same boat as Roast Grill? Curious to see what happens with this block. I’ll miss the State of Beer building and experience, but I’m glad of Roast Grill can get out of that nasty looking building but still stay around onsite.

3 Likes

Edited :wink: my bad! Thanks for the correction!

2 Likes

Isn’t that the kind of charm about Roast Grill tho is it’s current location and grunginess to it?

1 Like

Did char grill get approved yes or no ?

Approved for what? Char grill is on a different block.

Yeah I guess. It’s also the charm that’s kept me away for 13 years lol. That and their hours, which aren’t conducive to my personal ability to get down there. I wish them all the best but that building is gross looking. That being said, if they can either fix it up, leave as is and build around, or move into a nicer new location, that’s all up to them and I wish them well.

Jesus, 11:30-3:30 T-Sat? Are the owners doing this on their lunch breaks from their day job? (And if they are, that’s awesome, more power to them)

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken the owner is an older guy and he was looking to retire soon? (someone correct me if I’m wrong) So if it’s just him and his wife running things for the most part, those hours would make sense. That being said, I’d assume (hope) that once things are redeveloped, they’ll hire more workers and extend the hours since they’d be in a better/more prominent location.

2 Likes

It’s George and his mother, who I believe is in her 90s.

3 Likes

Ahh ok, close enough lol. Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

I can’t go there anyway because I like ketchup.
:rofl:

7 Likes

I believe this is on the 401 block of Hillsborough so posting here. Some really cool public art.

I have some pics that I stored up before we left so I can contribute as if we’re still in Raleigh. :joy::wink:

23 Likes

I just stumbled across this online. Did they developer scrap their plans for a squatty building?? According to this they are trying to rezone to 40 stories.

7 Likes

40 stories and up to 800 apartments is definitely an upgrade :clap:t4:.

5 Likes