Apartment Madness

So, I think these are categorized as Student Housing in the imaps system. So I did not pull them. I also did not include apartments without parking decks. There are def some 3-4 story apartments with parking lots around them, but I did not include them because they did not fall into the 5 over 1 category from some articles that prompted all this.

2 Likes

I think they should still qualify, because they wouldn’t have been possible to build a few decades ago before the code change that allowed wood buildings up to 5 floors. I also think they include some of the best and worst 5-over-1s in Raleigh!

2 Likes

Fair Points. Maybe next year!

1 Like

Agreed. I’m hoping for a Revisn/Lincoln finale for the worst, and I’m hoping that Revisn “wins” the worst in a landslide.

2 Likes

Too close?
:derelict_house:

1 Like

That’s not it at all. I just think that those are the two worst. For Revisn, it’s particularly tragic how the building meets the sidewalk. It’s sloppy and cheap looking. As for The Lincoln, its facades felt cheap and awkward since the first time I saw that building. It was my least favorite until it was “dethroned” by Revisn. :toilet:

5 Likes

Starting the final Round for the winners by doing something a little different. The 3 apartment winners left will all be going head to head with each other! We can see how things land.

Vote for your favotire apartment!

• The Line
  • The Berkshire

0 voters

This is the The Line

This is the Berkshire

Vote for your favorite apartment!

• The Line
  • The Edison

0 voters

This is the Line

This is the Edison

Vote for your favorite Apartment!

• The Edison
  • The Berkshire

0 voters

This is the Edison

This is the Berkshire

Wait the Dillon got eliminated? yall crazy.

6 Likes

If you take location out of the mix, what do you find so appealing about to he Dillon compared to the others?

The brick, loft-style glazing configuration for windows, building proportions (each building takes up less than 1/2 a block), fairly simple facade variations (not overly complex and trying too hard).

I guess the location might influence me a bit - not its proximity to stuff, but more of how it fits in its immediate surrounding.

9 Likes

Does the fact that The Dillon not have a pool play a factor for anyone?

EDIT: Nevermind, it does have one.

Nah, at least for me, I’ve just been voting on the architecture and the physical buildings

2 Likes

People can have really very different tastes and experiences when it comes to buildings. Some buildings that I really like have received lots of scorn in online comments. It is a really interesting phenomenon to me because a building doesn’t change for different people. It literally looks the same to all of us (maybe color blindness is different?), but people bring very different likes and tastes and projections onto buildings about what they are and often times what they represent. I am holding my opinions and what surprised me until the end.

3 Likes

Very true. I feel like the Aloft Hotel on Hillsborough St could almost be an architectural style Rorschach Test. To oversimplify: some people think the left side is classical and stately, some people think the right side is modern and cool, and some people don’t like either side. (And many probably hate the mashup of the two styles, but that’s not my point.)

10 Likes

re: Aloft on Hillsborough…the silver spindle art installation is very cool, I will say that

6 Likes

That metal sculpture suspended out front of Aloft: Cool to m because it’s unusual for Raleigh. I’d prefer 100 of those over that single stupid “light and time” art installation on Crapital Blvd that looks like a JV cell tower.

4 Likes

Thomas Sayre is a Raleigh icon, his work is all over the place. Here is a video where he describes the materials and reason for the design. If I remember correctly the transition from brick to different materials was forced or they came to an agreement with NCSU allowing the first half to include only brick.
https://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/08/prweb12930583.htm

5 Likes