Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

I wasn’t able to get a picture because I was driving, but i think One Glenwood looks really good at night. The top several floors have these red vertical light strips. They are visible from a long way away and really atand out.

5 Likes

Talked to someone at Dram and Draught, and after a few delays on One Glenwood, they are now planning to move into the corner spot by Origin Hotel late April to early May. So with the current location remaining open until then, it doesn’t seem like much demolition is going to happen till at least then.

4 Likes

They aren’t always red. LED so they change them up. I have seen them white and blue as well as the red.

4 Likes

I reeeeeally like the red. I feel like Red is Raleigh’s color! NC State down the street, Hopscotch logo is red; RedHat; Hurricanes; red red red!

6 Likes

I think it should always be Baby Blue, a color that truly represents the triangle area.

1 Like

Baby/light blue is too Charlotte IMO (Panths and Hornets)

Edit: I also don’t think Raleigh needs to represent the Triangle as a whole. If we go that far, then Raleigh should rep the entire state since we’re the Capital, however, I think Raleigh should focus on representing Raleigh.

5 Likes

You’re thinking of Chapel Hill :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Fine, how about a nice shade of Royal Blue?

1 Like

How do I delete someone else’s comment, lol?

11 Likes

I was just at a sandwich shop in Durham that had huge banners up for Carolina and Duke, but not NC State. A lot of things about Raleigh frustrate me and in a lot of ways I prefer Durham and Chapel Hill, but that blatant ignoring of the other University in the triangle by ‘those guys’ has cemented my thought that there is no way Raleigh has any business trying to coddle or represent them in any way.

5 Likes

NC State’s in Raleigh and they look down their noses at it generally, as they do the city itself with their snide references.

3 Likes

This is your token Durham/Chapel Hill resident, speaking:

true.

…but that’s mainly a basketball thing (go Heels) crossed with national(?) trends, with a more-than-healthy serving of elitism and anti-libertarianism. It’s just a cultural thing, so I wouldn’t be too concerned about something so petty.

The way this side of the Triangle dismisses Raleigh (not just State), though,…

Nearly everyone I know in Chapel Hill say Raleigh is just too inconveniently far for them to care about on a daily basis. Whether it’s shopping at a mall (Southpoint), employment (RTP), an urban downtown (Durham), concerts/theaters (DPAC), a college-town experience (Franklin Street), or hipster culture (Carrboro), residents in Orange and Durham counties already have their semi-regular needs checked off; there’s not much other than the occasional concert that only Raleigh can provide, so there’s no incentive for them to care about Raleigh. Obviously, I don’t believe that, but that seems to be the popular assumption. It’s a long-term issue of transit, development, and regional culture (or lack thereof).

There’s a whole thread where we’re talking about this, btw. (and… sorta trying to figure out solutions for? but not really?)

2 Likes

I live in Carrboro and frequently go to Raleigh. It’s not a bad drive on weekends.

I like Carrboro/Chapel Hill, and I quite like Durham as well. Don’t get me wrong. But if Raleigh weren’t nearby the area would probably feel a bit small for my tastes.

3 Likes

I was driving on highway 54 in Chapel Hill a while back when I noticed a sign … it read, “what’s the difference between Culture and Agriculture? … about 30 miles”.

4 Likes

Let’s keep the college town talk offline or in direct messages. I’m not sure of a way to weave that into any sort of relevance for downtown Raleigh as this bickering stems from the sports and not academics arms of the Triangle’s three major universities, which does have relevance.

5 Likes

Dram n Draft plans are in for One Glenwood .

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Any idea when we might see them start on the buildout?

1 Like

It is almost fully leased . One Glenwood .

1 Like

I meant do you know when will they actually start building the Dram and Draught inside One Glenwood? It’s been a gravel floor with nothing going on for months.

I don’t know . The permits have not been issued yet .