Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

17 posts were split to a new topic: General Restaurant News and Updates

12 Likes

Whatever the exterior material was that they used on this building, it created a synthetic snow all over this area. Not very environmentally friendly. Reminds me of styrofoam run through a shredder.

I noticed that as well. Had to close my sunroof and windows every time I drove past on my way home from work. It was everywhere.

Same thing at Smokey Hollow

The same thing happened to Boylan Ave. when the Revisn HOTEL was being finished. I think that itā€™s a styrofoam that they ā€œsandā€ with large screens and it sends Styrofoam pellets all over the place. I took a bunch of photos of it when it was happening and sent a letter to my council member and received no response. Itā€™s appalling.

1 Like

It is styrofoam. And itā€™s on every building everywhere pretty much, but that snow effect is most common with retail shopping centers. The tops of buildings that have a crown molding type look, sort of like this:

image ā€™

Thatā€™s all shaped styrofoam. I agree itā€™s not very environmentally friendly, but itā€™s kinda funny how little itā€™s noticed apparently. Like I said, itā€™s literally on nearly every retail building everywhere. Itā€™s pretty common that if there is stucco, there is probably styrofoam like this involved somewhere.

Do they just blow the styrofoam all over the place. That is very irresponsible. But I guess they get away with it.

When they sand it with these giant screens attached to the end of poles, they arenā€™t isolating the styrofoam or sucking it up with an integrated vacuum. I took a bunch of photos when it happened on Boylan. Iā€™ll have to search for them and share them.

1 Like

I knew that those types of molding were styrofoam, I guess Iā€™d never experienced the aftermath before. And I didnā€™t realize that entire buildings are clad in it.

Us humans really need to start rethinking some of the cheap and easy new methods we have (not just for construction, but for everything we do) or at the very least figure out how to make sure they have less environmental impact. Pretty gross.

6 Likes

Exterior insulation is very efficient and saves tons of energy over the life of a building, but foam has a pretty terrible ecological footprint and lifecycleā€¦ Definitely would be better to use rigid foam board with cladding fastened through it, but still, with an EIFS panel there shouldnā€™t be much abrasion needed on the foam board except for trim pieces that need to be cut/shaven to get the right shapeā€¦?

1 Like

Not sure if the time indications are accurate for Origin opening and tower two ground breaking Summer 2019

2 Likes

Origin replied to me a month or so ago and said this winter. Hopefully Tower 2 starts sooner tho

I found all of my images of the Styrofoam sanding and the environmental waste that resulted from it. Unfortunately, those are all iphone videos and I canā€™t figure out how to convert them to a format that will allow me to share here. Iā€™ll keep trying!

1 Like

@Deb @evan.j.bost Thatā€™s $$$$. When it comes down to it, the guy who cleans up the mess will have a higher bid and wonā€™t get the job. Using cladded paneling is far more expensive then styrofoam and stucco. Looks a hell of a lot better too. Much cleaner, modern, high end look, but budget money goes to one thing and not another thing.

All in all, construction is NOT an environmentally friendly practice. Generally speaking, it means tearing up nature and replacing it with concrete. Itā€™s pretty much the opposite of environmentally friendly. Iā€™m not aware of ā€œdangersā€ from styrofoam though. Is there chemical leakage? Idk. 95% of that ā€œfake snowā€ is going to get buried when landscaping comes through. In fact, construction sites are all miniature landfills. So much crap just gets buried.

1 Like

If I can ever figure out a way to convert my videos, Iā€™ll be able to show you the entire block where this fake snow ended up along Boylan Ave when Revisn was built. It doesnā€™t stay contained to just the construction site. Itā€™s lightweight and is easily carried by winds, and it consolidates in places like pollen collects in April. Itā€™s carried by water too, and makes its way into streams where itā€™s ingested by fish and other wetland creatures as well.
Itā€™s for very examples like this that regulations of use need to happen at the government level so that a low bidder, who wonā€™t clean up after themselves, doesnā€™t win the contract while destroying the environment.

4 Likes

FYI to all Ancillary Fermentation fans and/or fans of the brick house that is being impacted by this development:

Sunday June 30th from 7-10pm Ancillary is holding a pop-up for next months beer at 709 Hillsborough St, aka the brick house.

7 Likes

They have good events. Definitely going to this before they tear down that house. Iā€™ll report back if it actually seems historic :grin:

5 Likes

I will be there (both with my pop-up and playing with one of the bandsā€¦ :eyes:) and in helping with the event, I was informed that the house is currently planned to be moved!!!

9 Likes

Can you provide more details on the house being moved? Have been trying to coordinate offline with historic preservation folks on these type of moves (viability, cost, location identification). Would like to see a systematic process in place for historic preservation that includes land banking for easier relocation. Could market the area as a future historic district, etc. Iā€™m a huge urbanist, but urban areas are great because of their history. Interesting in having a yes AND convo :+1:

6 Likes