Bloc 83 - One Glenwood and Origin Hotel

I’m thinking that they look like hotel rooms by HGTV Fixer Upper. I’d rather have modern rooms, but with comfortable mattresses. The one ALoft bed I’ve slept in was horrendous.

Residence Inn, can’t they hire some graffiti artists and unf**k the western facing walls? They’re so ugly and face exactly where most downtown images are shot.

2 Likes

I don’t know where they are fitting this hotel…

5 Likes

in front of the parking deck. i thought i already clarified this for you. look up the site plans if you need more specifics.

1 Like

That wasn’t a question beckoning clarification, more of a “I can’t believe they are going to squeeze it in there” with picture for reference. Regardless of what the plan is, it already feels like a hallway. It seems there should have been more setback between the two buildings.

6 Likes

Should have been sidewalk seating, but will not allow with this narrow corridor.
But hey, I have seem corridors that are narrower than this in other big cities.

1 Like

There certainly appears to be enough room between the deck and the street for a single loaded run of hotel rooms. As for the sidewalk, there’s no reason to think that that room+corridor depth needs to be the same at the sidewalk level. The upper floors can easily cantilever over the sidewalk that would then help cover the walkway and improve the sidewalk experience.

Could but isn’t going to be.

Starting to shape up.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Love love love this pic! This is my favorite angle. Looks so much skinnier.

Ugly and it now blocks the great view of downtown when traveling East on Morgan Street.

Man, a city with buildings that block your view of other buildings?! Nooooo!!! It’s a shame they didn’t build that Soleil tower. 40 stories of building that can be seen for miles around. That would’ve been perfect.

:roll_eyes:

8 Likes

It really is an uninspiring design at this point. I’ll reserve final comment until it’s done, but it’s not looking promising. I suspect that the experience inside and the views will be much better.

This building starts to give us an idea of the height of Smokey Hollow and impact, though it’s a floor taller than this building I think. Smokey Hollow will also be a much larger footprint building.

1 Like

I’ll take “meh” over hideous any day. 90% of high-rises are pretty boring, tbh. In 10-20 years this building will basically be just one of many in this neighborhood and nobody will notice it. The density and scale will enhance this area and hopefully open the door for more (and better) high rises in this part of town.

4 Likes

Keep in mind, though, that the Smokey Hollow site is about 70 feet lower in elevation than One Glenwood, so it doesn’t stand out quite as much from all angles. One Glenwood is on one of the highest points in downtown.

1 Like

I understand that. That’s not my concern. For me, it’s about the sidewalk and neighborhood experience at the actual location, more than it’s about the project’s impact to a skyline photo.

3 Likes
2 Likes

That black paint, is that because they are wrapping that side in the hotel?

Yeah it’s to block moisture, etc.