Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

I didn’t think it was this site, I figured it hadn’t come through the city yet. It’s a mystery tho!

Walking around tonight with a hint of 301H in the back.

25 Likes

I really want to see multiple 10-12 story buildings across the street too

7 Likes

These buildings have really changed the look and feel of that part of Hillsborough St.

10 Likes

This rezoning was approved 1/19/21 and the ordinance can be found here: https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR22/Z-021-20-ORD.pdf

10 Likes

Looks like the traffic signal work is happening!

19 Likes

I sampled one of my drycleaner sites just east downtown this morning and left to take my samples to the lab courier in SW Raleigh. I drove down Morgan Street heading back towards my site. It looks VERY different between Boylan and Dawson. Almost a completely new city from just a few years ago. I have really high expectations for the next phases of Bloc 80 and Raleigh Crossing. WOOHOO!!

11 Likes

The webcam hasn’t updated since yesterday morning. I’m betting it’s done since the project is basically wrapped up. Sad I won’t get the glimpse of North Hills and the Willard hotel construction…

7 Likes

Snoopy’s sold for $1.6MM. Is that what I saw on the business journal?

3 Likes

Correct, to the CEO of Centerline Digital, Charles Long.

1 Like

Awesome, he is a great neighbor! Good dude.

1 Like

Seems like there should be or have been some lease announcements by now. Guess retail /restaurant leasing still tough. I hope the rent is realistic here.

1 Like

I can’t imagine anyone looking to expand, move, or start a new business would be looking to do that until some of the uncertainty is gone. I’m still optimistic that this location and Smoky Hollow will start filling up this summer and fall.

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting to see some progress on the next phase of both Bloc83 and Smoky Hollow. After spending several years following these projects, it’s leaving a big hole in my downtown development nerd heart, having these finishing up.

3 Likes

I was poking around this area last week and noticed the parcel south of the Origin parking deck is now deeded to Glenwood three LLC with a deed date of January 2021 (I’m pretty sure this is just another LLC for the same property owners as Bloc 83).

Whereas the next announced phase of the Bloc 83 development is owned by Crocker Family Properties LLC.

7 Likes

ooOOOOooo seems like we might get that tower on the other side of the parking fortress sooner than later!!!

4 Likes

I’m hoping hoping they fill up as well. Kind of wandering what type of businesses they are looking for at Smoky Hollow. I would expect some restaurants but am hoping for a more retail/shopping area there. Bars may be bad and too noisy for the residences. On the other side I think Block 83 would be good for bars/restaurants.

2 Likes

I looked at retail leasing at both places. Both were very much wanting restaurant/bar concepts to fill the spaces. Back when I talked to Smoky Hollow around October/November, they still had a brewery concept as a future tenant. But things may have changed.

Bloc 83 around that time had no tenants signed on in the phase 2 area of the property.

I’ve mentioned it before. But it sounded like Smoky Hollow had the brewery, a miscellaneous restaurant concept, gelato shop, and fitness studio lined up to move in. Curious how all those places stand.

3 Likes

The Dillion block doesn’t have an ice cream place. One of these smaller retail locations might be ideal, the one next to the coffee shop for example. Lots of foot traffic in general.

However, the RUSBUS construction process will be 4 years long so that might timid things.

1 Like

Waiting for R&D to open a tap house.

10 Likes

New view. This is popping up everywhere now!

25 Likes