Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

You might be surprised, the Aycock’s still own that location out-right (no lease or mortgage payments).
Currently their Hillsborough location is valued just under $2.2M and with Wake County’s current property tax rate being just under 1%, they are paying less than $1,900 per month in taxes. Even if that location jumped up to $3M it’s only $2,500 per month, most restaurants on Glenwood South would kill for that per month lease payment.

6 Likes

That’s true. Guess it depends on whether the Aycock’s want a big payday or not. I’m not a business owner but if it were me, I’d gladly sell that property for 2.5-3 mill and go open up somewhere else for a fraction of that.

Sometimes people love their city more than money, and CharGrill is one of those places that would pose that sort of choice for a long time resident owner. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Personally, I’d hate to see it go.

18 Likes

I agree. I hardly ever eat there, but when the craving comes I know the phone number by heart.

11 Likes

I am a huge fan of the hamburger steak jr. and fries. It’s my go-to every time I go.

5 Likes

I agree. But I bet that hamburger steak Jr would be just as good if it were over by the fairgrounds or off six forks etc…To me, I’d be happy to see it stay where it is but I still think long term there’s a good chance it won’t be at the location it’s at now. I know of other locations off of Strickland and in Wake Forest already. Hamburger Steak Jr will be here to stay!!

1 Like

When near the fairgrounds, just hit the Char Grill in Ye Olde Raleigh Village! My folks are close to Crabtree, and that is our go to.

3 Likes

I walk to that Char Grill. I’d rather prioritize walkable existing & successful businesses downtown than replace them with more empty storefronts and giant parking podiums.

10 Likes

That Char Grill is about 1 mile from my work. When I get a craving, that’s where I go. The one on Atlantic isn’t too much further for me, but it would still be a loss if the one on Hillsborough were to close.

1 Like

Wondering if Bloc 83 phase 2 has been able to secure any tenants. Maybe they’re just slow to get going like Smoky Hollow was and hopefully have a wave to announce soon?

1 Like

Not unless they move that grease-ridden grill with it. Now I want a junior.

3 Likes

In a perfect world, sure. But there’s a reason that these long standing restaurants disappear from downtown (Snoopys is one example)…money talks. Good news is you can still get that same great food all over Raleigh.

I’m not advocating or hoping it moves, but I still stand by my opinion that it won’t be there within a couple years.

1 Like

There you go! I didn’t even think about that one and I’ve eaten there at least a dozen times over the years.

1 Like

Completely losing it from DT is absolutely the worst outcome since that option requires everyone downtown to get in their cars and drive to the suburbs. That’s going in the opposite direction of what we want to see downtown.
If the Hillsborough location is to be redeveloped, I’d prefer to see them go to the route of Cooper’s BBQ. Move them to a new location where they can occupy an empty storefront space in one of these new buildings. Using their same walk-up model, theirs is a perfect type business to land in a place like the Hollow at Smoky Hollow or the plaza between OneGlenwood and TwoHillsborough.

10 Likes

Yea, maybe that’s the perfect solution for them to remain downtown

2 Likes

Tower II at Bloc 83 is about 36% leased. Envestnet on the top 3 floors, plus a handful of small offices on the second and ground floor retail tenants. Floors 3-7 need tenants.

Hopefully they get leased up soon to encourage more building downtown.

One Glenwood is almost fully leased.

6 Likes

25 Likes

Tower Two just signed a big lease: Durham- based McAdams Engineering is leasing 55K sf and making that its new headquarters.

Nice win for Heritage as they currently have the building on the market. This helps the prospects for the 18-story phase 3.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/09/27/durham-based-mcadams-to-move-hq-to-raleigh.html

12 Likes

Sad Fallon noises. lol

Sidenote maybe it’s time for some new retail on that block. We do need another late night hot dog joint on Glenwood/Hillsborough St. Where would it go though. lol

5 Likes

Golden hour shot.

28 Likes