Bloc 83 - One Glenwood, Two Hillsborough, and Phase 3

Wishful thinking but kinda wish they could team up and build these at the same time. If somehow one gets built without the other, we’re left with giant 90’ blank walls.

Like logistically, seems like running two cranes at the same time right next to each other would be risky? Could they share?? But then I dunno how who gets priority, etc. Should be interesting either way.

3 Likes

I’m guessing that the frame shop and its neighbor are going away with the gap between T3 and Casso being a light well/pocket plaza. Yes/No?

1 Like

Yea, new courtyard there.

9 Likes

A serious question: is this much parking really necessary? Especially with the fact that in-office numbers are probably not going to come back to 100%. And with all the new residential going in nearby, I’d hope at least some of the new residents will be working in those buildings without the need to drive there.

I’m curious how full the existing parking decks are right now. I’ll have to check them out on a midday walk sometime. It just seems like an excessive amount of parking.

7 Likes

Big ol’ “NO SH!T” from me! I have to imagine all these decks will be MAYBE half full on a regular basis. Have to wonder if these stupid short sighted developers would just suck it up and try working together to share their decks, the apartment building probably could’ve just leased some spaces from one of the FOUR Bloc 83 decks that will soon be within the SAME BLOCK. It’s extremely stupid, IMO.

7 Likes

I usually park in this development’s deck on H’boro when I am in town and do a walk about. The top three floors or the current deck are closed, or they were over Thanksgiving. I just hopped the caution tape to go to the top and take photos - but if you don’t use all the deck you currently have, why do you need so much more parking? I guess they are going by the old adage, nothing succeeds like excess.

Is it a city code thing? X amount of parking slots per floor development.

Possibly - but haven’t those parking requirements been removed for new developments?

2 Likes

No, I believe it’s been discussed somewhere on here but they have a high parking ratio not because the city requires it but likely because Heritage views parking as a tenant amenity (maybe they were on record confirming this, I can’t remember). While I generally agree that parking should be less important and downtown space should be more pedestrian-focused, they’ve probably got a point.

7 Likes

New Casso hotel signs just dropped!

21 Likes

I hope not literally!
That’s kind of cool tho. It’s like our own little pretend boutique hotel.

My wife and I stayed at the Origin TWICE. (Visiting from our home in VB) Loved it both times.

We’re going again i guess to the Casso now but it better be the same inside :angry:

2 Likes

I noticed the First Watch location seems to have had no progress in quite awhile, and there’s some kind of For Lease sign on the window I think. Just drove by. Can anyone confirm this is still moving forward? I feel like they’re expanding literally everywhere, but it wouldn’t surprise me with no residents in those empty office buildings, they decided to pull out. Hoping not.

That’d be surprising. As they’re pretty far along on their construction.

2 Likes

It’s definitely still happening, there are workers inside most days when I walk past. They recently installed the lights, which I hadn’t previously seen. The “For Lease” sign on the front is probably for the building as a whole as there are still unoccupied spaces.

7 Likes

Excellent! That’s what I was hoping to hear. I was gonna be disappointed.

3 Likes

Lots of activity today, several large deliveries and nearly a dozen construction workers inside.

26 Likes

Raleigh Magazine is reporting First Watch opens Feb 27.

10 Likes

Sign on the door confirms this as well. Looked like employee training was taking place this morning.

1 Like

Also a mention from the local franchise owner about the opening.
(click for pics)

10 Likes