City of Raleigh Flag

I feel you, it’s not terrible. I’m just personally sick of all the acorn/oak tree/squirrel imagery used for damn near everything. Sir Walter himself is a little more unique considering he is the city’s namesake, but I’m getting quite bored of his image being used for so much, as well.

Oak-kay (see what I did there?!). So just for the record: we’re all assuming that this is some attempt at redesigning the City of Raleigh’s flag, and is not a logo associated with the South Park Historic District? Because there are probably 5 or 6 houses within a 2 block radius that are flying these flags, and I was curious what the significance is.

1 Like

I have always liked the below White Tree of Gondor :wink:

Maybe just change to colors and add the City of Raleigh :+1:

8 Likes

Back to the acorn flag. While it could use some more tightening up, what I like about it is that Raleigh’s coat of arms is shield shaped, and it lends itself nicely to being stylized as an acorn. Frankly, if Raleigh’s flag was just the coat of arms on a background, that would be fine with me. But, if the flag could be both the coat of arms and an acorn, that would be really nice. Red & White seems to work for Raleigh too, since it’s the colors of Raleigh’s coat of arms and the colors of both NC State and the Carolina Hurricanes.

6 Likes

Wonder if there’s a connection between SWR’s coat of arms and the Granville County flag. I see these everywhere when I drive through Oxford.

1 Like

It’s also English and heraldic. From the original coat of arms of the Earl of Granville.

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-nc-gv.html

2 Likes

I hope the Canes do something Raleigh-centric for their Stadium Series jerseys next season.

The diamonds in the Raleigh coat of arms → hurricane warning flags?

18 Likes

Pretty dang awesome Mike!

2 Likes

And if they use the MLB Raleigh “R” they can pay us royalties and we can throw that back to the community! :grinning:

6 Likes

Didn’t realize there was a topic for this already, glad I checked!

Anyway, thanks to an Eric Lamb retweet, today I learned that there is a group trying to popularize a new flag for Raleigh. What do y’all think?

19 Likes

Thanks for posting. I had not seen that. It is a huge improvement over the existing one which is way too busy.

IMO it is a bit too heavy on the color red, but I like the simple acorn logo with the coat of arms.

I was about to type out my feelings about it, and then realized I already did on January 17th!

6 Likes

It’s a gazillion times better than the one we have. I’d even be for stylizing it even more and making it simpler.

2 Likes

While I’d normally agree with you (red is just not my favorite color), it does truly represent Raleigh best - Carolina Hurricanes = red, NC State = red, RedHat = red, the faces of people in Oakwood when a building over 10 stories is proposed = red

4 Likes

Oops, shoulda scrolled up first!

I actually like the acorn. Raleigh needs some more simplified, universal icons/branding. Durham has the bull and their (really nice) flag. I feel simple things like that enhance tourism appeal.

5 Likes

It’s a good flag but I’d still rather have a squirrel. Something with more attitude.

3 Likes

Also I don’t think 1 acorn nut is enough… needs 2.
Our flag should have a squirrel with a pair of nuts.

4 Likes

Good evening, gentle people. It’s true. We exist. We’re here. We’re bringing you a better flag.

Tell your friends and neighbors!

11 Likes

Deleted original post. Somewhat inappropriate. Click on the edit history if you must.

Gucci made me do it.

4 Likes

The flag… it’s sentient…

2 Likes