Downtown hotels

The difference being that James Goodnight owns the Umstead and had it built on his own property at the current location because of difficulties of getting it passed through the Cary Town Council at the original planned location (where the Apartments at the Arboretum is now). If you have a super rich person who wants something then it greatly improves the odds of it getting built.

3 Likes

John, Took words out of my, guess make that off my computer screen, I was about to post almost the same thing. Downtown does not have type of traveler that demands high end hotels.

1 Like

Correction: Jim Goodnight is the SAS owner & Cary resident. James Goodnight is his son, Raleigh resident and redeveloper of many historic structures in and near DTR and Wilmington.

3 Likes

I mean, I actively avoid hotels along highways and not near walkable bars and restaurants. Usually I’m left with vrbo or airbnb as the only thing meeting my criteria. Sorry hotel industry, but the industry is mostly terrible to me.

1 Like

Well his name is James Howard Goodnight and his son’s name is James Arthur Goodnight. Both James. Jim is merely his nickname.

2 Likes

Nash Square Hotel is moving fast . They will have construction drawings approved soon for road &
infrastructure improvements, then building permits .

10 Likes

Don’t keep my hotels up. All these hotels planned and only one actually built.

2 Likes

The developer for the proposed 12-story Hilton property on South Wilmington Street, Narsi Properties, is proposing a 4-story ‘tru’ hotel in Garner and also has ‘tru’ hotel going in near RTP.
So they are certainly active in the area and are no fly-by-night outfit.
Hopefully they can stick to the 1Q2020 start date on the Raleigh project. You just have to wonder why it takes so long to get these projects going.

10 Likes

We really need something tall and grand in the Enterprise lot to fill in that huge gap between Marriott and BB&T… not that garbage 10 story airport hotel they’re planning :expressionless:

8 Likes

Buy the lot. I’ll throw in a few bucks.

Different view of the McDonald’s block on South. I’m still hoping for that TruRaleigj or whatever it’s called hotel here to start soon.

9 Likes

I believe that my grandfather, who is currently working on FNB, is going to be working on this project, but it could be one of the other hotels that are planned for downtown.

2 Likes

We NEED more luxury Hilton hotels downtown. Every other big city in the U.S. has multiple Hiltons downtown.

1 Like

Just looked at TBJ and decided to go over to the Triad BJ. Greensboro is getting a Westin. We can’t get a single hotel. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

It’s a real shame. You hate to see it.

Good for them!
Now, what are they doing that makes the difference? Is this actually in downtown Greensboro or out by the mall/interstate?

1 Like

it is in the most impactful projects in Greensboro, found in slide 8 and supposedly along elm https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2019/11/13/how-is-the-triad-evolving-these-25-projects-to.html

The Westin has been in the works in downtown Greensboro for quite a while. Part of a deal with the city to build a parking garage etc. lots of moving parts but finally under construction. Nice Hyatt also just completed across the ballpark and a Hampton inn right in the middle of downtown also just topped out. The new performing arts center is driving a lot of this which will be complete soon. Lots going on. Smaller scale stuff but will make an impact. I’m here until Feb, will try to share some pics. Good parks with WATER features have also been constructed downtown recently.

5 Likes

Midtown Exchange made it into the trending section of the TBJ (Triad)

honestly, I’d rather not have it if it looks like that :flushed:

2 Likes