Downtown hotels

Honestly, good. Probably would’ve been one of these BS 10-12 story grey concrete blocks. Now, there’s more possibility of something taller- even if only built to 20 stories, they no longer have the height requirement!

There seems to be a lot of hotel rooms in the planning stages now. I was actually thinking of a sharp-looking office tower there would really standout.

Nope, too much to ask for.

The entire hotel issue downtown is a chicken and egg situation with the convention center. The convention center can’t book larger conventions that require hotel rooms because the hotel rooms aren’t there, while the developers are cautious to build hotels because the convention center hasn’t booked conventions to fill their rooms. It’s maddening!
So, what we get at the convention center are more events that draw from the local area including home shows, car shows, etc. I’m not saying that these are bad to have, it’s just not the most economically advantageous use model for the convention center and the city.

3 Likes

Personally, I’d like to see some adaptive reuse of the Firestone property if there was a creative way to go vertical above it ala former Father and Sons. That block will have varied heights with Whiskey Kitchen, Nash hotel, hilton-garden, and this corner, so for me reusing that building would be ideal, and include the Firestone sign :v::peace_symbol::heart:

6 Likes

Maybe one day we could get a creatively designed hotel or office tower. Just one single such structure would improve the skyline by a lot.

1 Like
3 Likes

26 posts were split to a new topic: Sites 3/4, Convention Center Hotel + Tower

I think the site plans over on Urban Planet showed Morts not in the footprint.

1 Like

Yaaay! No synthetic stucco.

And so it begins!!!

19 Likes

Do we have renderings for this site? With two hotels on the same block it’s hard to keep them straight.

2 Likes

Hilton Garden Inn & Homewood Suites - West Davie Street. It’s been posted a few posts above.

Have the building permits been issued yet or is this just site prep and grading?

edit again

Plan Review [RM | Boundary Survey - Minor] - Scheduled for 01/29/2020

https://energovcitizenaccess.tylertech.com/RaleighNC/SelfService#/plan/2e6b1091-e08e-4b6b-83b7-f2bce638b2b5

3 Likes

Ahh. Ty. I thought that was the hotel facing Nash. I should have noticed the slope of the hill in the picture.

1 Like

Careful. This says it is in Wade Park. Check out the project name…

1 Like

Oh snap you’re right.

https://energovcitizenaccess.tylertech.com/RaleighNC/SelfService#/plan/2e6b1091-e08e-4b6b-83b7-f2bce638b2b5

2 Likes

hey thats the one in my neighborhood! neat!

3 Likes

Whatever happened to this project?

I think it’s still progressing, just not moving through the process quickly.

2 Likes

My company does work on a ton of upfits in the office buildings there.

1 Like