Downtown hotels

You ba-da ba ba Bastard!

3 Likes

So potentially not so exciting news but I was told by the owner of th Berkeley Cafe that the new fencing is more about preventing the homeless from squatting in the building than pending construction. Bloomberg opened a campaign office across the street and shortly after, the fence went up.

Anyone aware of actual demo permits being pulled?

I wonder if the permitting process for hotel vs. office/residential is more stringent, or if there’s more code they need to adhere to. That could explain why these hotel projects never seem to go anywhere.

No. That doesn’t have anything to do with it. We have Uber conservative hotel developers in Raleigh at the moment…none of whom seem to have the balls to really pull a project off except Kane.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Willard Hotel

Dumpster Alert!
imagePreformatted text

12 Likes

Be alerted that this dumpster is hanging on and could slide down and kill you upon impact!

2 Likes

I really don’t know why it posted sideways but I couldn’t figure out how to change it…and well was too lazy to really spend a lot of time figuring it out…plus i figured it would provide everyone with an opportunity to stretch their necks.

5 Likes

It clearly provided an opportunity to have some fun, which is always appreciated.

McDowell St . Hotel has applied for permits .

16 Likes

But which McDowell St. hotel? This one, or this one?

God I hope that latter one. I hope the first one you posted never gets built.

1 Like

Jack , If I hear more on this I will post . All I heard was it is North of our convention center .

1 Like

Any word on Nash Square hotel or Wilmington St hotel? Both stated February construction start recently.

Subscriber article from TBJ advocating for a 200-room Ritz-Carlton in downtown Raleigh.

He suggests Downtown South as a possible location and says a local company could make a commitment for rooms to help with the cost.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/02/20/editors-notebooits-time-we-need-a-ritz-carlton-in.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

2 Likes

The editor of the TBJ writing a click bait opinion editorial…but hey hopefully it helps spur conversation/interest

3 Likes

How about a Westin or Hyatt first

1 Like

I have about 6 more months with TBJ before my subscription runs out…and personally the ONLY thing that I like about TBJ is there Quarterly “Space” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
…I absolutely love the numbers for each sub-market (DTR, DTD, SixForks,Capitol, RTP, etc.) including Retail, Class A, B, C Office, Warehouse and Flex space…sigh! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Westin was supposed to be in North Hills by where that new building at but… I mean they have Asheville, Charlotte, Greensboro not Raleigh like bruh.

Westin AVL, where?
Westin is coming to RAL, developers just not choosing DTR. Brier Creek. Crabtree…
Personally, I think the ‘southside’ developments will get these types of things adjacent to DTR.
I could see Hyatt in the Nexus development and the redevelopment around CAM would be a cool spot for a new ‘funky’ branded hotel. I’d like more unique options like Longleaf in the vicinity of DTR.
How cool would it be if the Bain Water Works got turned into a combo of retail, studios and a boutique hotel? Ramble on…
More, more, MOAR…

3 Likes