Downtown hotels

McDowell / Cabarrus St. location .

Is this the Enterprise lot?

I believe this is the latest rendering we have? It’s hard to keep track of all the pictures on my phone.

7 Likes

This rendering isn’t worth the 20 characters required to comment. Oops. I exceeded the minimum.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the Enterprise lot .

McDowell x Cabarrus is the Enterprise Lot. God I hope they’ve updated the look. Really wish something so short and terrible wasn’t going in this location.

4 Likes

The lot next to the L seems more likely since it already has a fence, with the contractors sign (Clancy & Theys), as well as a dumpster…

That’s not McDowell x Cabarrus, though. @nipper.dwight indicated that was the one.

1 Like

Kinda exciting news there’s hotel activity starting on the Fayetteville St. lot but:
“Kessler’s plans for the project call for an upscale six-story, 220 to 240-room Grand Bohemian hotel complete with architectural flourishes and a design to complement the adjacent Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts. Kessler said his group has been working with Raleigh-based TradeMark Properties on the project.”
“Plans for the Raleigh luxury boutique hotel include a ballroom, meeting space and restaurants. The Kessler team also plans to apply to build the second tower included in the RFI, whether with a partner or on its own if need be. Together, the towers would likely be six to seven stories.”

6 to 7 Stories? No thanks
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/02/21/hotelier-wants-to-build-110m-luxury-hotel-in.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

7 Likes

They’re welcome to build anywhere else and I hope they don’t expect a hand out of $30 million in tourism tax benefits.

I can just imagine the rest of hoteliers with lackluster projects also asking for handouts as well if that happens.

3 Likes

We’ve stayed at a few of these hotels. They’re freaking awesome. What it will lack in addition to the skyline, it will more than make up in cool factor. This is 100% my kind of place.

4 Likes

Ah crap. I love everything about this but the location.

5 Likes

Glad to see the interest is starting to emerge but I don’t think 6-7 stories is what City Council had in mind for this site.

11 Likes

Yeah, this is a pretty cool project, but absolutely not what the city wants in that spot. It’s like they don’t even know what the city asked for. The main purpose is a large convention center hotel to let the RCC book larger conventions. This is less than half the minimum size requested.

Also the idea is to extend Fayettville Street and they have a formal park space.

Would like to see a high end hotel like this somewhere else in DTR, but absolutely not there.

8 Likes

I was under impression that the city wants something TALL and 600 rooms for that location. Not some stubby buildings no matter how fancy. maybe co-brand with another hotel with entrance facing Fayetteville st to make it 30 story or so. Unless no better offer comes along and city is desperate to sale, I say NO F WAY.

7 Likes

Could a project like this go on the NCAE lot right there?

4 Likes

Seems like someone is angling for free advertising. Put out a proposal you know won’t get accepted, get some press on it, move the project somewhere else. Idk…

9 Likes

Truly no disrespect intended, but wouldn’t this look perfect or better placed or more appropriate in Chapel Hill? :thinking:

6 Likes

But it has a great big water fountain right in the middle of Fayetteville St basically. That alone should be enough for us to want it …

6 Likes