Downtown South development

And could have used DBAP in the interim PLUS would have an instant media arm between WRAL/WRAZ and 99.9 The Fan.

2 Likes

I would like to say " Hats Off To A Good Good Friend " . This friend will text , call me on many of these projects that we love on this site . Approximately 2 to 3 months before 301-H started, I got a call , 2 months before 400-H started serious paper work , a call , 2 months before DTSouth Project news on TBJ , a call . Everyone , lets give my friend a ton of likes , thanks , for doing this for us . Thanks !

27 Likes

Is Malik just a figurehead now? He never had enough money to get a team himself.

1 Like

Alan , Just me thinking at the top of my head , so to speak . It could be that between Mr. Kane , His Investors , New Investors , Mr. Malik’s relationship with top MLS , a deal could happen . Just a thought .

2 Likes

Why is the idea of Malik having one of our billionaires - if not Goodnight then his SAS colleague John Sall or Tim Sweeney of Epic Games or even the Goodmons - as a pointman really funding the venture one ringing in my head. It’s without precedent, see the Winnipeg Jets where a car dealer was backed by Canada’s richest man because nationalism.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that either Jim Goodnight, or Jim Goodmon, both of whom are nearly 80, incidentally, have expressed any interest at all in bringing an MLS team to Raleigh. Steve Malik is the fellow who was interested in ponying up money for a team.

David Tepper paid more than $300 million for his expansion franchise, which is the highest sum ever paid for a new MLS franchise. Yes, his money was quite literally better than anyone else’s money, because there was more of it. I’m honestly very perplexed why people are surprised that MLS sold a franchise to the person who was willing to pay the most money for one. I mean, that’s usually how these things work, where the person who is willing to pay the most for a thing gets to buy it. When I sold a house a few years ago, I sold it to the person who offered to pay me the most money, not the person who was the most passionate or the biggest fan of my house, or whatever, and that’s usually the way these things go.

Anyway, if someone had offered to pay MLS another $300 million+ for the rights to put a franchise in Raleigh, I am 100 percent convinced that MLS would have been positively delighted to make that deal. So far, though, no one with the money to do that has expressed any interest in doing so, and so here we are unless or until that changes.

10 Likes

David , In approximately 2015 I received a email from George Habel , then Mr. Goodmon’s VP of Sports @ Capitol Broadcasting Co. , asking me to call him , which I did . Currently Mr. Habel is VP of Special Projects for WRAL . Mr. Habel has been with Mr. Goodmon for 40 years . During this call Mr. Habel did tell me that Mr. Goodmon 's next interest was to bring MLS to our area , not minor league baseball to Raleigh . Several of us has tried with no prevail to get Mr. Goodmon to support bringing ALPB to Raleigh .

12 Likes

We’ve got to have that kinda of sentiment you displayed we can be afraid no more.

I hate that this town seems…adequate just having what it already has on top of that southern metros seem to be punished for not being in rust belt areas. We’re a Top 25 TV market and growing like a weed and the lack of civic will is crippling us when we have the mass to support more teams for sure.

What are we doing wrong that Charlotte, Columbus, and Cincinnati (let alone Nashville and St. Louis and Kansas City) are doing right. I swear if Dundon is forced to sell the Canes and the only buyer is Tepper and we lose them come 2029 we only have ourselves to blame if we take the “largest Nielsen DMA with a pro team” mantle back from…Hartford.

Who are you mad at??

We better control that from happening like fighting like hell for a stadium downtown. Fighting MLS or MLB here in Raleigh. The bottom line is we better fight like hell.

Stop your rant about the conservatives… We all know you don’t like republicans, no need to write it in every post. Moreover, it has been discussed several times here that NIMBYs actually come from both sides of the political spectrum…

6 Likes

Yimby we have similar political views. That said we all have a love for downtown Raleigh on this page. I don’t think it’s necessary that we have to bring politics onto this page, and throwing political labels on people. I think there is a time and place to discuss Raleigh politics as at times it does pertain to downtown, but would be better suited for a separate thread.

4 Likes

I’m gonna echo this. The spirit of this site as a whole is more brainstorming than finger-pointing. I think most of us get irritated with rampant NIMBYism, and I gather that this place tends to lean more toward one side of the political aisle than the other. That being said, I think it’s safe to say that we’re here to work out solutions to the growth here in Raleigh in ways that are kind and understanding. Political grandstanding really isn’t the purpose of this place.

15 Likes

Thank you! Thank you!

3 Likes

Labels are one of our society’s favorite ways of negating context and discussion.
It’s pretty important, at some point, that we all take a long look at that and the toll we pay…
There’s a broad spectrum of folx out there that probably want nothing to change and, sadly, they’re not always who you think they are and, based on current community outreach efforts noted on this site, often disappointed. There’s another spectrum of folx who seem to be pining for something else, always looking outward at what the area sh/could be, interestingly enough, yielding similar disappointment.
Evolution is OK but D@mn it requires patience…

8 Likes

David Tepper, Don Garber, our rich people for not fighting for an MLS team, the whole of Las Vegas for friggin lapping Raleigh since they’re probably getting an MLS team on top of an NFL team on top of an NHL team on top of being more on MLB’s radar in a smaller TV market, Ikea corporate, Duke University.

We can be like Charlotte or Nashville or Vegas or Cincinnatti or Columbus or St. Louis or Pittsburgh if we found the pair of ovaries to do so. Sadly we seem content being a second tier city when we can act so much bigger.

Charlotte is the jewel of the Carolinas and I would pit money that if anyone on this board was offered a job at the same pay and housing costs there they’d move in a heartbeat no questions asked. I would.

Negative!!!

Why wouldn’t you? Charlotte seems to have their things together and you just know that MLB would go there first since Charlotte clearly has the Jedi mind tricks to win while Raleigh and Durham would just complain the whole time.

This thread has drifted a bit. Reminder, general sports talk can go here, Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions Let’s focus on the actual development of DTS here, will start moderating on that going forward now.

11 Likes