Downtown South development

A post was merged into an existing topic: Show Off Things From Other Cities

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Show Off Things From Other Cities

10 Design webpage for the project: 10 Design - Downtown South

7 Likes

I like that they actually have a rendering with just Phase 1 items so we’re not let down when it’s 20 years of just Phase 1

Also if “design completion” is 2021 does that mean this really is happening?
There is also some confirmation that there will be a city view from the stadium which I LOVE

Having a breakdown of team members like this is also solid indication that this could be moving forward quickly.

16 Likes

Looking at the render did give me a pause, as I love the city skyline views (especially as it continues to grow). I’m not a stadium acoustics expert, but would have hoped they figured out a way to keep all the noise in the stadium and not have it all funnel out (imagine Seattle Seahawks stadium vs Carolina Panthers stadium).

Also as an avid soccer player/fan/fanatic, I hope they incorporate a safe standing section into the ground. More and more of the MLS stadiums are incorporating it, European clubs are bringing it back in some capacities, and I think it would probably help draw more people to games + give it a lot better atmosphere.

7 Likes

Or also substitute a new hockey arena in the ‘Phase 2’ area between Phase 1 and the highway/greenway. Year-round sports hub!

3 Likes

not to be a debbie downer, but none of this really means much.

“Design completion” doesn’t indicate whether it’s for the masterplan or for actual construction drawings of one or more buildings. The team breakdown could be for either one, and the renderings look to me to be only at a schematic/conceptual level. Notice that there’s no structural or MEP listed as consultants either, which seems to suggest this team is just for the masterplan.

6 Likes

That being said, 10 Design’s mixed-use portfolio looks pretty impressive. Might get some fairly unique buildings out of this.

2 Likes

The only built projects I could find at a quick glance are a couple in China. Makes me wonder if Kane is using them for a masterplan and then will put this out to bid for the actual building designs. If that’s the case, I’m already setting myself up for disappointment… that’s basically what happened with Park City South.

Might have to get in touch with my former colleague to see if I can get any info :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That would make a lot of sense. Let us know if you find anything (that you’re allowed to say, of course).

5 Likes

Wasn’t this also how North Hills came to be, though? What’s different about how this project may be delivered versus Park City South and DTS?

Asking for a friend, since they totally lost track of that thread. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Please don’t remind me of the absolutely heinous bait-and-switch of Park City South lmao

1 Like

I’m fairly certain that’s what’s in store for DTS, but hope I’m wrong

Masterplans can be approached in a few ways.

1. A firm is hired to do test fits on a site and provide a loose conceptual framework for development. It can sometimes be years before this original framework is actually translated into real buildings by other firms, but the developer still wants shiny renderings for marketing purposes. It’s common these days to take initial renderings to a level of detail that can be misleading, in that they suggest something cooked when it’s really just fluff to communicate the intended character of the area.

2. Both can be done almost consecutively – one firm establishes the rules for the masterplan; other firms design the buildings, and they plug into each other. My understanding is that the North Hills expansion of the Main District happened this way – CI Design masterplanned the expansion, but Cline and Duda Paine (+others?) are designing the buildings. If you look at the renderings for the masterplan, the buildings represented in it are the actual designs for the buildings that will be constructed.

3. The same firm that does the masterplan can also continue on to design one or more buildings. This usually only happens at large firms that have the bandwidth to pull this off, and I’m not sure 10 Design does unless they pull from international resources. I could see them taking on the stadium and some larger office buildings while handing off the residential components, for example. Alternatively, they could be retained as the design architect, with local Architects of Record handling the documentation and construction. This would be an ideal scenario in my mind.

So it’s really hard to guess how much credibility to give to these renderings. My gut check tells me this is likely approach #1 and the renderings are fluff, which would also mean that 10 Design’s portfolio isn’t really suggestive of the character of what will actually be built. That would be disappointing.

5 Likes

Good explanation from @elevatoroperator. To add a local example of type #1, think about Dix Park. They started on the master plan in 2017, it was unveiled in 2018, and it was approved by city council in February 2019. Now it is September of 2021, and nothing has been done.

Obviously things are often even slower for public projects compared to private ones (downtown south will likely be a public-ptivate partnership), but this shows that even when a project is real, there can be years between completion of a master plan and things actually going under construction.

3 Likes

Saw these renderings on Twitter earlier today.

12 Likes

Way ahead of ya! We’ve already picked apart those pictures (and other renderings) here, if you’d like to catch up.

That’s fair. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of these renderings are meant to be nothing more than eye candy to appease potential investors. I already get that master plans don’t imply any specific stage of completion for megaprojects (Dix Park being a great example, as you said), but your answer also makes it sound like where a plan belongs in that spectrum is opaque. That is something I’m surprised by, since I thought that’s one of those things that would be much clearer.

1 Like