Downtown South development

Q2 meeting set for next Wednesday, 5/24 at 6pm. I am cautiously optimistic as they waited til the very end of Q1 to host a meeting and there was nothing new to report.

7 Likes

I missed the beginning of the meeting but not a lot of updates. Had some new renderings and timeline looked the same as the Q1 presentation which is good news. Grading to start Q2 and vertical on the multifamily south to start Q3. Music venue to start Q3 or Q4. Fingers crossed, should see ground moving here soon (though I’ve said this probably 5 times now)!

8 Likes

We are in “Q2” or they saying “Q2 2024”? which would be concerning given IR & the impact on CRE nationally.

1 Like

Should have specified, they are saying grading will start this quarter.

11 Likes

link to the meeting presentation…

33 Likes

Couldn’t think of a better outcome for a currently vacant field of grass. And I still think they’re vastly overestimating the distance that the Downtown proper skyline (which is a good thing IMO, as I really don’t think it will take much to connect them over the next decade or two - especially as Dix edge/Saunders starts filling in).

11 Likes

I love love love this and can’t wait to see a show up here!

22 Likes

Thanks! Just an FYI, the video from yesterday isnt updloaded yet. Current video is from the Q1 presentation.

Really excited to be getting a new entertainment space. The music venue is going to be killer for this town.

2 Likes

Is this “MF South” as in “Snakes on a MF Plane”?

10 Likes

Currrently it stands for Multi-family, but maybe DoSo will be called MoFo in the future.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 9.53.05 AM

13 Likes

I refer to ‘MultiFamily’ as MF every day…

1 Like

Multi-family snakes on a multi-family plane? I guess that works…

6 Likes

I think that’s the TV edit :rofl:

4 Likes

The distance between Downtown and DT South isn’t that dissimilar to the distance between Downtown and Midtown Atlanta.
If you want to look at how it might appear as it builds up, take a look at images from ATL.

6 Likes

I think that’s definitely true for Downtown to North Hills (HUGE gap), but honestly when I drive past these DTS fields from downtown, it doesn’t seem even remotely as far.

3 Likes

Here is an example:

First is NHs to DTR

The next is DTR to SoHo…or whatever there calling it now…

And finally Midtown to Downtown Atlanta, GA

20 Likes

You can actually make those distances be the same between DT Raleigh and DTS and Midtown to DT Atlanta if you wanted to. It just depends on where you drop the pin.
The difference is that there isn’t really an urban break between DT Atlanta and Midtown Atlanta (something that can’t be said for between DT Raleigh & Midtown Raleigh). The comparison to Atlanta is far better (though not exact) between DT Raleigh and DTS.

3 Likes

Rode my bike past Bain and up Water Works St this morning just stretching my legs; did not note any equipment on site or evidence of grading having begun. As grading for the first multifamily building was to have started Q2, and we are nearing the tail end of Q2, are there maybe some updates on the timeline here? Has there been a delay announcement that I’ve missed? Are they actually still planning to get started in the next two weeks? Or did I just miss obvious signs of progress?

2 Likes

Not sure, but they are hosting a second Q2 meeting on 6/29 via Webinar Registration - Zoom. They have always only done one meeting per quarter so maybe there will be some interesting news? Only activity I have noticed on site is the warehouses are being revamped across the street.

Also, new website is up. I went to check the old visitdowntownsouth site and it wouldn’t load. New site downtownsouth is much more thorough and polished.

14 Likes