Fayetteville Street Developments

We should keep that building as it is one of the oldest remaining buildings in DTR. There are plenty of other lots for the project you are talking about.

4 Likes

Maybe the building could be refaced and rebricked :joy: to look like it once did when it was new and a modern building could be attached to it where the cafe and parking lot are.

Something like this

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be too upset about the modern building next to it, but the old wear of it gives it the old charm that would not have been present had it been new.

3 Likes

From the pic that kicked it all off, it appears they are doing exterior work - re-pointing the masonry, cleaning the brick, weatherproofing!

2 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: General News Thread

5 Likes

209 Fayetteville getting some facade work done. Looks like it’s been stripped down completely.

14 Likes

Awesome! That buildings exterior is awful…screams late 70’s early 80’s and I’ve personally never liked it

Wonder what the original building exterior looked like (and maybe will return).

1 Like

New windows maybe???

6 Likes

Don’t get too excited. Mostly interior changes for leasing purposes. Maybe windows for energy efficiency.

3 Likes

or maybe windows because it’s an awful building, otherwise?

4 Likes

I can’t defend the building. It’s ugly.

3 Likes

It’s so bad, that it’s actually pretty good in my opinion. Just all around awkward in every way, from the architecture to the scale, and is a small reason why Fayetteville is so appealing. There is no prevailing style, building scale or construction era along the stretch.

6 Likes

Questions? Is Fayetteville Street failing? If so what can the City,along with a private partnership do to bring it back?

Honestly, loosen restrictions on street carts, microbusinesses, and small performing arts spaces.

Did you know that street food vendor cart permits in Wake co. are only issued to hot dog vendors…?

10 Likes

Since the Red Hat Amp is going away in 10 years I always thought a replacement should go behind the performance art center. Any replacement amp going to downtown south or dix park or elsewhere will just add to the deadness of Faye Street District.

6 Likes

We can’t have just anything being sold on the street. Next thing you know there will be trained monkeys selling bratwurst and the whole street will descend into a circus, besmirching the good name of our fair town! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

At least the street would be booming with activity then

I don’t think the street really needs promoting. Once more people live downtown and people come back to work downtown, the rest will take care of itself.

5 Likes

You don’t think a 30+ story building with office, condos, and ground floor retail alone will help give Faye st. a 24 hour feel??? Especially with more being expected given the approved zoning of other properties last year?

1 Like