FNB Tower (Charter Square)

Agree with regard to the N&O site. A 20 story building for that area is another huge missed opportunity. By far the best available lot for our new tallest building. I would rather it sit like it is for 8-10 years in hopes for a better development than to build a 20 story “tower” there.

5 Likes

My initial thought was the same but the Nexus will do wonders to the street level experience and connectivity. Also I think both Acquisition Group and Fallon (at 301H) wanted a quick win with their first project (and not challenge the council) and then go higher on future projects

6 Likes

Well, we actually can as long as it’s no more than 250’ tall?

6 Likes

Good point; also if the core expands to the new downtown stadium area, then there will be lots of new spots for new tallboys.

5 Likes

Ideally, this would be the block with Exchange Plaza and the other one mentioned here, the block with Kimbrells and I’d say really is historic. That hole is probably going to stay empty for a very, very long time.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: AT&T Building on McDowell

Just imagine a 600 ft tower in between Wells Fargo and PNC. Plus a 500ft tower on the lite beside Charter square north and south. The skyline would probably be the best looking skyline in NC.

3 Likes

I agree the current plans with this site are atrocious. I hope this project never happens to be honest.

It would be Great…:cityscape:

2 Likes

26 Likes

Is your drone able to calculate its height/altitude? There has been a lot of debate about the actual height of this building. Wondering if you are able to give an approximate measurement.

In your third photo, left of the Wells Fargo tower in the sky. Is that a bird? Is that a plane?

2 Likes

That’s a crow fo sho mah bro

4 Likes

^ Looks like a bird to me as well.

I never noticed the alternating pattern of the facade before, but I really like it!

1 Like

Funny you ask. Here’s a screenshot of where I tried to get even with the top. I launched from the Performing Arts Center parking lot so probably more in line with Fayetteville St than the Wilmington side.

272’

7 Likes

It’s a bird! Maybe a bird shaped drone?

1 Like

Just curious, what do you think the margin of error is? how does it determine it’s height?

FWIW the Progress building is 276’. According to Wikipedia, FNB was to be 286, which may actually be accurate from the Wilmington st side.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s pretty cool that the drone has that info (and that you used it to measure the height).

Definitely a little disappointing since we had heard 316 ft., but once the building was up it seemed pretty level with One Progress, so not surprising.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure. I can tell you that I don’t get GPS sync until I have roughly 10 sats registered and usually it’s in the low teens (13-15). At the time of that screenshot there were 18 and as such the accuracy should have been pretty tight. The inaccuracy is going to be more in the actual ASL of the take-off point vs the base of the FNB building. I could run this same exercise from the parking lot east of FNB (other side of Wilmington) to see what the difference is.

2 Likes

I never thought that the this building was going to visually be as tall as we hoped it would be. It may still eclipse 300 feet if one start the vertical measurement on Wilmington and finishes it on Fayetteville.

2 Likes