FNB Tower (Charter Square)

Walking to the office I just notice that the FNB tower is now taller than my tower (One City Plaza). Just a few floors left now.

1 Like

Kane certainly adds to the housing density with his projects, but he hasnā€™t done that on his own in his two ventures downtown.
In the case of Peace and Smokey Hollow, heā€™s adding several hundred units to the housing that already exists within easy walking distance to his project. This includes The Cotton Mill, 510 Glenwood, The Paramount, St. Maryā€™s Square, Devon 425, Devon 712, Glenwood Towers, The Gramercy, 222 Glenwood, West at North, Link, The Metropolitan, and The Quorum. This isnā€™t even mentioning the single family homes, the smaller projects in the walk-shed.
While the east side of DT has its own larger projects like The Lincoln, Skyhouse, The Plaza(PNC), The Edison, The Hudson, Founders Row, Palladium Plaza, and soon to be FNB, it doesnā€™t yet have the housing density that exists on the west side. IMO, grocers, etc. will come to the east side; Iā€™m just encouraging more housing to come to hasten that development and investment by the likes of Kane. The trigger on such an investment will be pulled when the numbers work for them. Itā€™s all a numbers game.

2 Likes

Pictures PLEASEā€¦:grin:

Just taken a few minutes ago while on my morning walkā€¦

9 Likes

I wish Kane or somebody would build condos instead of all rentals. People want to invest in the downtown core and all you get is $1m townhomes and fixer uppers outside of the core.

9 Likes

I Love itā€¦ask and ye shall receiveā€¦I need to ask moreā€¦Lol

Thank you! :wink::grin::blush::grinning:

1 Like

Looks like 4 stories leftā€¦ Exciting to see the glass going up so fast and almost to the top of the office portion already

3 Likes

The have several stacks of glass stored on the 9th floor. So maybe the residential floors will start to be covered as well soon.

3 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t get that either. Iā€™d think that developers could sell $300-500K condos all day long if they built them. Maybe these developers are thinking that they can convert the rentals in the future?

4 Likes

I believe Cp114 was commenting how his Grandfather was working on FNB (hope I remember that right). He said the roof height was going to be 286ft. So we should see it top out a little bit taller then Progress. Then with the weird little crown on top it looks like that will officially/unofficially be able to get it above 300ft. Im hoping in real life that crown has a presence to it because in renderings it seems underwhelming.

2 Likes

I also hope that they add that cool lighting that letā€™s it show up at night! :grin::smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe we can get them to do a hologram projection that adds 30 more floors to the building at night? :laughing:

11 Likes

LMAO I can get behind this ideaā€¦

1 Like

After the crash I know of two things that now hinder condos being built (these may have changed but back when I was an HOA president it was front and center for us). 1) banks reduced their financing of new condo projects to 50%, down from sometimes 100%. That means developers have to get the other 50% from private sources, have their own money, or presell about 50% of their units. 2) (little hazy on this)buyers could not finance over 80% with Freddy or Fannie which crimped people without that much down payment. Also some HOA dues got higher because of a 10% capital set-aside requirement by Freddy and Fannie. Sounds reasonable right? Well, most HOAs were not doing it or not labeling it as such in their budgets.

loading in to play Lincoln Theater, with a nice view of FNB poking over One City Plaza

17 Likes

Nice angle. Itā€™s really evident in this shot that Charter Square 1 isnā€™t going to be blocking any sun angle on the pool deck. Thanks!

2 Likes

Taken early this morning from the Raleigh Police downtown district station.

12 Likes

It sure looks short from that vantage point. :worried:

4 Likes

Seriouslyā€¦is it actually going to end up taller than One Progress?? Iā€™m not convinced when seeing this shotā€¦

5 Likes

Look at the crane height. They probably raised the crane to the minimum height they could to finish it out. It will be roughly the same as One Progress

3 Likes